What's on the bench.

Chestnut

On 1/22/2024 at 10:53 AM, legenddc said:

Installed a cordless extension reel on Saturday with my son.

I'll bite - what's a cordless extension reel? Usually when I think extension reel, it's for a cord (or a hose or something like that...)

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:13 AM, Chestnut said:

Case looks awesome i love the light look and the walnut and cherry. It's so simple and effective as my woodworking expands simple and effective gets more and more attractive.

The only "mistake" I see is not showing off the handcut dovetails by putting the pins on the top and bottom board. And that's only a woodworker grip no one else will notice.

Bingo. I used my leigh DT jig on this and accidentally swapped the pins/tails. It was my first time using it on a project and was focused on the details of the instructions.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 1:53 PM, JohnG said:

Bingo. I used my leigh DT jig on this and accidentally swapped the pins/tails. It was my first time using it on a project and was focused on the details of the instructions.

Well they look good. I gave you credit for hand cut and they weren't so bravo at getting the instructions right.

On 1/31/2024 at 5:57 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Nice piece, @h3nry! What are the inlay materials?

The green rings are crushed malachite ... there were also some bark inclusions in the base pice which had some voids that needed filling, for which I used some turquoise as a contrast.

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2024 at 4:54 PM, h3nry said:

I found a nice 12/4 offcut of maple at my local WIndsor Plywood store ... not where I'd usually look for figured woods. It made a good excuse to change the blade on the new bandsaw and cut it up into turning blanks and practise my turning skills a bit.

sIMG_20240131_120814385.thumb.jpg.65ab90f7b888ceee40f59591293c5ee4.jpg

The result really tested the capacity of my little mini lathe, it might have an 8 inch capacity, but it barely has the torque needed to keep a tool cutting on a piece this big.

Beautiful!!