What's on the bench.

Chestnut

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 8:50 PM, roughsawn said:

I like that stain, Drew. Do you mind sharing the name and color?

On 5/6/2023 at 7:47 PM, Dave H said:

My guess on the stain would be golden oak.

Old masters Dark Oak is my guess but I'm not at home and can't check. I got it at Hirschfields. It might even be their house brand. If i remember I'll post again with a picture of the can.

• 2 weeks later...

“Finished” my picture frame jig today. I used the plans from Make Something for it. I need a longer bolt for the toggle clamp.  IMG_4500.thumb.jpeg.968193506d5378b9f27cd078d2045ca1.jpeg

Quick test with some scrap pine showed a perfect corner. 

IMG_4501.thumb.jpeg.6fc39dc47b2e043b5fc06ce6829303cf.jpeg

I’m not crazy about how close to the blade your hands would be if you’re making a smaller frame. Was thinking of adding some T-track and a hold down clamp or the Rockler Auto-Lock hold down clamp. Open to suggestions if anyone has a better idea.IMG_4502.thumb.jpeg.9a66e0e9019381443472c593d4a5b8a0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 1:29 PM, legenddc said:

Quick test with some scrap pine showed a perfect corner

Part A is perfect. But the test is A,B,C,D. That is you need all 4 pieces to check for square. Squares can be off. But I'd bet that it is square...

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 1:52 PM, curlyoak said:

Part A is perfect. But the test is A,B,C,D. That is you need all 4 pieces to check for square. Squares can be off. But I'd bet that it is square...

Very true. I will mill up some lumber soon for a true, 4 piece test.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2023 at 1:30 PM, legenddc said:

Found some scrap and ran a quick test. Seems like it works just fine. Next I need to put together a spline jig and get to work. IMG_4503.thumb.jpeg.ab798b5436bf185e46909115258c857b.jpeg

I highly recommend an L fence for the table saw to trim the splines after they are glued in. In my book it beats all other methods by a long shot. 

• Like 2

A few days of uncommon SoCal weather mean I am a bit behind in getting to the "finishing the finish" stage on the latest effort.

703594007_Sideboard(256).thumb.jpg.0ddefabc42e9ee8dfa8a06bd52571e89.jpg

The top and a few other parts got rubbed out today.  The balance should be ready tomorrow (wait . . . I've heard that for the last three days!?!) so I hope to be ready to wax and deliver in a few days.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 12:52 PM, curlyoak said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that if one end of a side is cut on one side of the jig and the other end is cut on the other side of the jig and repeated on all four sides, and all four sides are the same length, then frame should be close to perfectly square. 

• Like 2