Some more stuff for you...

woodbloke

Your work is absolutely phenomenal! You mention that because the drawer has a center rail it means it has an applied front. Can you elaborate on this? Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the nice word, it's much appreciated. 

The following pic shows the rear of the chest of drawers in American cherry, before the back was fitted:

DSC_0002_zpstnsn4bpi.jpg

You can clearly see the centre rail and muntin. This means that you simple make a box that slides over the muntin and the sides don't actually touch the case work; they can clear it by around 0.5mm or so each side, it's not crucial. The front is then screwed in place and can then be fitted really close:

DSC_0002_zpssfodar5l.jpg

...to around 0.15mm, which isn't too difficult to achieve. The drawers are more complex to make this way, but much easier to fit - Rob

The following pic shows the rear of the chest of drawers in American cherry, before the back was fitted:

DSC_0002_zpstnsn4bpi.jpg

You can clearly see the centre rail and muntin. This means that you simple make a box that slides over the muntin and the sides don't actually touch the case work; they can clear it by around 0.5mm or so each side, it's not crucial. The front is then screwed in place and can then be fitted really close:

DSC_0002_zpssfodar5l.jpg

...to around 0.15mm, which isn't too difficult to achieve. The drawers are more complex to make this way, but much easier to fit - Rob

Please excuse my ignorance here Rob, im just trying to learn. So if I understand correctly, the reason to do an applied front is to make the fit of the drawer box appear tighter to the case than it actually is? Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 13 December 2015 at 3:16 PM, shaneymack said:
On 13 December 2015 at 3:00 PM, woodbloke said:

DSC_0002_zpstnsn4bpi.jpg

DSC_0002_zpssfodar5l.jpg

Please excuse my ignorance here Rob, im just trying to learn. So if I understand correctly, the reason to do an applied front is to make the fit of the drawer box appear tighter to the case than it actually is? Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Correct. Although the drawer appears loose at the sides (because of the gap) it actually slides really smoothly on the single central rail. Screwing the fronts on also means that if required, the horizontal partitions between each don't need to be seen. This would be needed if the complete front, top to bottom, was in a matched veneer with an intricate pattern.

• Like 1