Hickory Wood

Andrew

Hey guys new to the forum.  I have been wanting to make a bedroom set for my wife and being a bit of a baseball fan I wanted to use hickory or ash.  I am leaning toward the hickory but wanted to see if you guys have any experience or recommendations between the two.

Thank you

I love ash and after the bettles came through i had a crap ton of it and its still really cheap around me.

Hickory is pretty crap to work with but i think its nice looking and if you need something to be strong, well thats your wood. 

I made a bed recently mostly out of clear ash, i think it looks very nice and it was pretty easy to work with.

The hollow beams i made out of hickory on the other hand... i still have splinters and nightmares from it.

7 hours ago, TIODS said:

Beds are significantly different than baseball bats.  Suggest using material that looks great to you and your wife rather than having some nostalgic tie to baseball.  Your wife may not like the look of either one?

Welcome to the forums!

Yeah I'm totally with Kev.  I don't get why your love of baseball means you should build furniture with baseball bat wood.  Do you wear leather pants because baseball gloves are leather?  Put pine tar on your pancakes?  Rosin on your baby's butt after a diaper change?  Sunflower seeds for dinner?  Adjust your package during a meeting at the office?

Build the bedroom set with cherry or walnut...then buy a lathe and turn a bat out of ash. :)

• Like 2

I'm just finishing my Roubo work bench with an Ask top.  I never want to work with Ash again.  Grain running in every direction, hard as nails, tool dulling.  I've been surprised to see people (in other posts) recommending Ash.  Perhaps my Ash is unique, back to Walnut, Cherry and Mahogany for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm with ya OSG, I've made a coffee table out of hickory and didn't notice any sort of trouble that everyone is talking about. I get that it's hard to work with but it's no where near as difficult as zebrawood, purpleheart, jatoba, or the likes. Heck it thickness planed easier than figured maple for me.

• Like 1

Hmmm.  Thank you.  It's makes a great 3 1/2" thick work bench top.  But I found this stuff to be very unruly and difficult to work with.  Switching grain in 2*3 spots along eight feet, tearing out, hard as heck.  Tool dulling and generally difficult. My tools are sharp and tuned. This is my first time working with Ash, it was a good price so I got it for the top of my workbench.   My question is, if this is ash, why is everyone else so hot for ash? What am I missing?

I've worked with ash and it was more pleasant than working with oak or maple. If you get any wood with wavy grain it's going to be a PITA have to watch which direction it's going. I don't know if it's right but i generally switch directions when the grain direction changes when working with hand tools. Power tools i just try and use a smaller cut and more passes.

Looks like ash to me.

Keep in mind,  not all of any wood is a dream.  The ash cut for my bench planes like crap because the grain undulates often.  A 3 foot section of great with the grain planning cam quickly terminate with a few 1/2"x1/2" plugs pulling out when the grain sweeps up then back down. 

• 2 weeks later...