Hijack!

Llama

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Hhhmmmm....how far is he from MY house?

I called a mill this week, less than 3 miles from me. Owner was nice enogh, and willing to sell me stuff, but its all green. Story of my life.

How many times do I have to tell you, save up your money, bring a trailer and come visit, my guy's inexpensive, likes his beer and loves to talk, and I't's kiln dried.

2 hours ago, Lester Burnham said:

I found a sawmill that's 8 miles from my house. 8 MILES :D

l6jml1g.jpg

The guy that runs the place is great. Real nice, old school dude. I told him how my friend and I had been looking for a hardwood dealer for a while and had no luck. I asked him how long he'd been here and he said 20 years. :huh: They don't know how to advertise. Anyway, he's got white and red oak, ash, cherry, walnut, poplar, some mahogany, hard and soft maple, sycamore, sassafras, and hickory. I was there for 90 minutes just talking and checking the place out. Huge warehouse with stacks to the ceiling. It was awesome. Thanks to you guys, I had the right mindset and the right words to ask the right questions. No minimum purchase, just got to give him a heads-up if I'm looking for something specific so they can move shit out of the way in the warehouse. All the cherry was behind 6 stacks of oak and hickory. I just dug through the randoms and found 2 cherry boards and a walnut board to take home.

sUTfPPY.jpg

btX2vgR.jpg

I had to cut the cherry boards to fit in my car but I chose a knot and a spot where the 8/4 was cracked. The 4/4 cherry board is a bit better on the other side, I think I was just over excited and grabbed it. lol He sold the cherry for $4bf and the walnut board for $7bf. I'm going to use it to make another end table, like the maple and sucupira one I made last year. That 8/4 cherry will make good legs for something someday.

A lumber source and a mentor.....  Man have you got it down.

• Like 2

Just now, Lester Burnham said:

I don't have any of that. Would danish oil be acceptable?

Yes, in fact probably better than BLO because I just realized you have maple pieces there...and BLO turns maple into banana.  Don't ask my workbench how I know.  DO doesn't yellow maple quite as bad.  Tung oil would be best but use what you have...then get back to work on that table.

• Like 2

You know when you hear about a load of lumber big enough that it won't fit in a 3/4 ton truck and it's for sale for $150 and apparently it's your cousin that you don't recall if you even have met? That's a good time. Hopefully it's good stuff and not 800 2x4's. 

29 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I had to take a picture of this. 95 F here today with the humidity and one of my roofers is wearing a tuque ! I guess he misunderstood when I said "put your damn hardhat on !!!"

Wait... Those are hats? I always thought you evolved knit-wool hair to survive in the icy north.

• Like 1