Hijack!

Llama

13 minutes ago, RichardA said:

The 60's?  In what years did that happen?

It happened 20 years before Disco killed music. 

13 minutes ago, Tom King said:

All my best friends work for NASA.  The guy who did the welding on that rover-actually, not only did the welding but invented the method-died a few years ago, and left me all his tools.  He's the person who taught me how to weld.

NASA still gets the cream of the young minds, but they come from all over the world.  They get some amazing kids to work Summers.  Very few would make the grade anyway, but there doesn't really seem to be any shortage other than maybe the keeping of some out of the country.

I've been very fortunate to get to stroll through the Science Labs to see what they're working on for the JWST, and the step up from the Hubble will be unbelievable.

Tom, what a privilege!  And yes there are amazing young minds out there who will dwarf what we've accomplished in science and technology. What the JWST "sees" will boggle the mind I'm sure. 

• Like 1

I think that all of the people who exist for this kind of work are all still there, just like in the 60s, it just isn't a national drive. Guys like Musk and the Google X prize are HUGE drivers for private investment in space. We already have private companies routinely going into LEO and, within the next 18 months, we should have someone finally collect the X prize for getting a lander back on the moon.

• Like 1

German Amazon may be the death of me. There are so many things on there you can't get here! Also, pisses me off because there are things on there you can't have shipped here! Stupid shit too... Why can't I buy the damn 31 piece Wiha kit and have it shipped over to 'Merica?

• Like 1

I have a big map of New Jersey hanging on the wall at work. For fun one day, we figured out how big earth would be and how far away and large the sun would be using that state map as the median. Really cool experiment to get a perspective my mind can understand. Our Sun was somewhere on the other side of Ohio...compared to the 4 foot state map on our wall.

German Amazon may be the death of me. There are so many things on there you can't get here! Also, pisses me off because there are things on there you can't have shipped here! Stupid shit too... Why can't I buy the damn 31 piece Wiha kit and have it shipped over to 'Merica?

Now you understand the pain and longing of the Canadian looking at Amazon.com...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BonPacific said:

At least give it a better name... It's not even just Friday. "Spring savings", "April Apiary Appreciation", "Oh god the sun has finally come out so spend some fucking money please".

"Holy crap, Bob ordered HOW MANY trucks of fertilizer Sale"

• Like 2

Last spring, I cut an annoying branch off this hedge apple tree because it was always trying to clothesline me when I was mowing the lawn. I haven't really payed much attention to this corner of the yard over the past few months because it's been "winter" and whatnot. Seems that it's expressing its displeasure by turning into a stabby Hellraiser tree of death. I don't like this tree.

Lawn mower for scale

p9z0Vxw.jpg

uQw8tpC.jpg

Apple works nicely in the smoker!

• Like 2

I hate it when nothing works out. I have loads of stuff to finish up at our house over the next couple weeks so I can get back into an actual wood-working project. Thought I'd be able to get a few things done this weekend, but the paint labeled ceiling paint from the previous owner didn't match the ceiling paint. Crack in the drywall in my shop that I'd fixed cracked again so I spent more time fixing that instead of cleaning everything and painting it.

Can't do most of the stuff I need to at night because our daughter is asleep. Figured I could paint the upstairs room during the week at night but that needs drywall work too and my wife just sold the lamp so I have to steal another one to have light to paint. Oh, can't move the queen bed by myself to pull off the trim and paint that wall and my wife is pregnant and can't help...

Maybe I'll get to making a bookshelf in May now.

• Like 2