Hijack!

Llama

A redneck (me) preparing to expand his backyard deck:

1ad230bac7e0eda5c10c9eb761c07090.jpg

4 treated 2x8x16, 4 treated 2x10x16, and a dozen concrete deck blocks/pylons make a noticable load. Considering the Avalache is a Suburban platform rather than a Silverado.

Amazingly, I found one SYP 2x10 that was knot and pith free for the entire 16' length. Too bad it was dripping with nasty green bug juice.

• Like 2

You laugh, but just last summer, I was driving on a 4-lane, non-divided highway, when a compact sedan passed me at a moderately high speed. Out of each rear window protruded the opposing ends of what appeared to be a single 2x4, probably 10' long.

I think he needed at least the surface area of a 2x8 to get airborne.

Come hang out with me at www.mrmccormickmakes.com

Well wdwerker, guess we better cancel the strippers we were sending to your shop :)  

MattK, glad you are okay.  It could have been much worse, but it will serve as a wake up call for future saw use.  We've all had it happen so welcome to the club!

1 hour ago, davewyo said:

Today I burned the first of 3 or 4 sessions for this Spring. I will have to take care of lots of downed limbs and busted fences from all the snow.

There's something primal and fulfilling about burning stuff.

Show off.   I've got 8 or 9 good sized alders down on my property but it has been to damn wet and cold to cut them, let alone think about burning.  Oh well, I hear alder is good for making a roubo.:ph34r:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Dave, I am so envious of that, I would love to have the room to burn stuff like yard waste.  Where I live, people may call the Fire Department for lighting the grill.

Here in the county you can burn until fire danger is designated as moderate to high. You just have to call in and let them know you're burning, and follow a few common sense rules. In town you can only burn during burn week(I think).

During high fire danger you can't light a fire, drive off the road into the high grass with a hot muffler, smoke ciggs in the forest, run a chainsaw or dirt bike without spark suppressor, etc. etc. etc.

Coop, it's all about supporting the fibers.

You can work from the ends into the middle, that way they're supported.

You can bevel/chamfer the edge and work from the middle to the edge taking light passes.  (Who am I kidding, it's end grain, you're taking light passes already).

You can clamp something against that edge and work off the edge.

I generally work from the ends to the middle.

• Like 2