Hijack!

Llama

2 hours ago, G S Haydon said:

Hi C

Miss you too bro and being part of it. Life always throws us a trial or two and I had a few last year. Things are improving and I'm grateful to be still moving forward.

Cheers

G

Missed seeing you here Graham!  Hope things continue to improve for you!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, estesbubba said:

Have it rift and quartered and it will be much more pleasing to the eye. My sawyer cuts all his oaks where he gets very little plain sawn. He says the technique to do takes more work but I don't know if it creates more waste. 

He mentioned having it quartersawn.  That should certainly be better.

• Like 1

I know most of us consider painting walnut to be sacrilege, but in this case, I think a exception is warrented. Zoom in on the title card.

7a7fd44b6e1766c5b4ec988ea361afeb.jpg

Junior and I visited the Discovery Park of America yesterday.

http://www.discoveryparkofamerica.com

One permanent exhibit concerns the history of timber cutting in this region of the country.

Anyone heard of "shittim" or "gopher" wood, outside of Biblical context?

240f290a2b5fbc7efb1dd67c4b50f1c1.jpg

And here is one to poke@Eric. about the term "black" walnut.

2e40f0d887c11a5fdd15409f785586ab.jpg

• Like 2

That's a cool display.  I wish the use of scientific names for trees was more common.  I find the common names confusing. 

Was that an original Leondardo DaVinci or a reproduction?

Pretty certain they wouldn't put the original within reach of the average 12 year old. These were copies, but pretty decent ones.

Another exhibit at Discovery Park is a relocated water-wheel driven grist mill. Looks like straight-up M&T on these 12/4 poplar stairs.

ce15924e5e51e5dc5b774334f8e41602.jpg

Not a peg, screw, or nail in sight. I never determined what keeps the runners from spreading apart.

Mark, that's super cool. Thanks for sharing it. I may get a print of it too. I peruse NASA recently and love the pictures from the Hubble. 

I'm really glad Trump signed their budget but I'm saddened that young people today aren't fascinated by the space program like we were in the 60's. 

Thanks again!

The space program needs a new mission. JFK challenged the country to put humans on the moon in less than a decade, at a time when a good many rural parts of the country still used outdoor toilets and kerosene lanterns.

What fantastic challenge has been brought forth since?