Hijack!

Llama

When my kids were small, I worked in a sheet metal shop. As time went on, I spent most of my off time in racing shops. Then later of course, I had my wood shop.The kids were always welcome in any of the shops.

IF they obeyed the rules......

#1. Shoes are a MUST.

#2.NO running,

#3. NO screaming,

#4. ASK before touching ANYTHING (especially tools and anything that might be sharp or hot).

I treated their space (room) and toys with the same respect.

Teach them early on and the grandkids are no problem at all ......

SAFETY FIRST ALWAYS. :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, K Cooper said:

You can't find anything that sheer in Victoria's Secret 

Wood-shaving lingerie? Hmm.

Shop was 90 degrees today and a bird flew in. In his honor I made chicken.

I used to roast a Rabbit on Easter... But then family members got all weird about it :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I find the dept. mgr.  

This is the most impressive part...you actually found an employee?   One that actually knew what planet they were on, actually wanted to help you, and actually had the authority to do so?   I hope you bought a Powerball on the way home...

• Like 2

A visiting relative suggested that we can get our beer super cold by adding ice cream salt to our ice chest, so off to Kroger we went. Within 45 min. with ice and beer and salt in a small Yeti, we had ice crystals in our beer. The salt box suggested doing this for ice cold beverages and watermelon, as well as for making homemade ice cream. It also said that it can be used to melt ice and snow from sidewalks. Now being from the south, I had heard that salt is used on the highways up north to rid them of ice but, luckily, we've never experienced it. Having said all of this, for the majority that are smarter than me, how can salt freeze beer but melt ice? 

Salt lowers the freezing point of water, therefore it melts the ice.  It's also an endothermic reaction which means it absorbs energy, which makes it colder.  It's a mind screw.  I remember learning about it in chemistry class but it's been too long to explain it in any way that would make sense.  I understand it but can't regurgitate it.

• Like 2

Eric has it spot on, but I'll see if I can try to expand on his answer. Ice water (or ice on salt) has a lower freezing point. Which means it stays the same temperature, but is now a liquid. When using this to chill beer, it means the sub-zero (in celsius) water flows around the beer and has maximum surface contact, so it can pull heat out of the beer bottle/can faster than ice will. Cold water conducts heat better than cold air.

If you don't have salt, ice+water cools beer faster than a regular cooler of ice. For the same reasons.

On salting roads. Its pretty rare these days for people to use regular salt on roads, at least in  Washington. Its mostly chemical deicers, and they tend to be sold mixed with grit. Used on frozen sidewalks mostly. Salt still works, as the sub-zero water can flow into the ground or off the road. You do end up literally salting the earth though.

• Like 2

plus one for Bon's answer.  As an example, salt water (i.e ocean water) freezes somewhere below 0 C.  

However, I would like to point out that unless you need the cooling effect on your bod, or are drinking really cheap beer (yeah, I know, you live in the South), you don't really want "ice cold" beer.

• Like 1

My wife will drink a martini every once and a while when we go out. I've noticed that when it is served, there are slivers of ice in it. That's the way the beer turned out last night. Ice cream salt is now my friend! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, K Cooper said:

My wife will drink a martini every once and a while when we go out. I've noticed that when it is served, there are slivers of ice in it. That's the way the beer turned out last night. Ice cream salt is now my friend! 

Well you are in Houston, after all, so you deserve a pass ;-)

To maximize the ice effect, minimize the alcohol: say bud light, or some other trainer beer!