Bowfront medicine chest

Mick S

So cool.  Great material selection and execution.  That will be a focal point wherever it's placed. Good demonstration of the router table adaptation for the curved dado too.  A real eye-catching piece.

I dig the DT jig.  The results are very slick and they look terrific.  Do you just use the miter gauge to set the angle for the pins when using the jig?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

So cool.  Great material selection and execution.  That will be a focal point wherever it's placed.  I'd like to see a few detail shots of the DT jig.  It looks like a combination of the tilted blade a-la Mike Pekovich and the angled miter a-la Jeff Miller. Very slick and they look terrific.

Thanks! The dovetail jig is a combination of the tilted blade and angled miter. I used an Incra V27 miter gauge. I'm going to make another jig using a sled instead of the miter gauge. I found there's too much flex in the vertical face of the Incra miter and it throws off the perpendicularity of the bottom of the cut. Also, removing and reinstalling the jig onto the miter gauge requires perfect alignment of the blade to the previous cut. If you're off even slightly the dovetails won't fit. A sled would always keep the alignment dead nuts.

IMG_1896.jpgIMG_1897.jpgIMG_1895.jpgIMG_1906.jpgIMG_1907.jpg

I made the jig double-sided. One side for pins, the other for tails. I had a blade ground to 7 degrees for the tails and use a flat grind rip blade for the pins.

IMG_1898.jpg