15-20K for shop overhaul. Need ideas and what would you buy?

Cygnus A

7 hours ago, derekcohen said:

Lose the jointer, jointer base, drum sander and paint gun. They are not a good way to spend money.

Question: have you built anything? Have you built any furniture? If not, budget for a course first. 

Where is the planer/thicknesser? A 8" wide jointer is a waste of time. Often you want at least 10" and 12" is better. I suspect that you want to use a drum sander as a planer. This is inefficient. Get a combo jointer/planer machine, such as the Hammer A3-31, which will give you 12" in width. 

I agree with the CT26 over the CT36 (I have the CT26 into a Dust Commander - the extra capacity of the CT36 would be wasted).

I'd rather have a tablesaw with slider than the tracksaw and mitre saw (well I do - the slider offers accurate crosscutting as well as ripping). 

I would purchase tools as you need them, rather than buying everything at once. Find out what you need. What do you plan to build? 

Where are the handtools? Chisels, block plane, smoother, mallet, marking tools, squares? Sharpening gear? Have you budgeted for these?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for the feedback. I am heavily researching the combo planer/jointers based on other people's recommendation.

I am not starting from zero. I have a 3hp sawstop PCS already with nice crosscut sleds. I also have Veritas block and low angle jack planes, sharpening system, chisels, squares, marking tools, and all the basic hand tools. I just happen to have money to overhaul my entire shop and want to spend it wisely while thinking long term. I may have misled some people with my comment about cabinet making. Although that is my immediate need for the new house (storage for office/ craft room / garage /kids rooms/etc..) I want flexibility to make most anything. 

The issue of dust control is not about the dust you can see. It is about the dust you cannot see! 

In addition to a DC,  I am fortunate to work in a double garage with opposing doors. I open them and let fresh air blow through, reducing any dust hanging in the air.

Regards from Perth

Derek

9 hours ago, Eric. said:

Or 50. :)  Honestly if someone asked me how much I've got in my shop I'd have no idea what to say...but I'm sure it's well north of 50.  Include the lumber stash and you could probably tack on another 10k or more.  And it never seems to end.  By the time I die I probably could have retired a millionaire if I hadn't blown it all on woodworking.  But money ain't no good when you're dead.

I was keeping a spreadsheet for insurance purposes. About 18 months ago it was between 15-20k. That was, I think, before I got my first Festool. Now I think I'm 8 Festool deep, plus a bandsaw.

16 hours ago, Eric. said:

If you completed a larger project from start to finish in your basement without a good DC system, I think you'd find it makes a bigger mess than you realize.  I have a ducted 2hp DC in my garage and I have to clean the shop out with a backpack blower pretty frequently or I'm balls deep in it. :)

A DC is on my list whenever I get a jointer and/or planer and stop headed over to my dad's to use his. The way people talk about it makes it seem like if you turn on a power tool inside you're house your family will be murdered.

How have we gotten 5 pages in and no one has mentioned clamps?

I'd do something like this

Veritas Bevel Up Smoother - $247

Veritas Standard Block Plane - $167

Hammer A31 Jointer/Planer - $5000

Bandsaw - Laguna 14SUV - $1799

Tablesaw - Sawstop PCS 3HP - $3000

Drum Sander - Supermax 19-38 - $1399

Miter Saw - Bosch GCM12SD - $600

Sander - ETS EC 150/5 - $485

Extractor - CT26 - $700

Domino - DF500 - $990

Dust Collector - $1700

Piping (Lots of variables here) - $600 - $4500

10 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

I'd do something like this

Veritas Bevel Up Smoother - $247

Veritas Standard Block Plane - $167

Hammer A31 Jointer/Planer - $5000

Bandsaw - Laguna 14SUV - $1799

Tablesaw - Sawstop PCS 3HP - $3000

Drum Sander - Supermax 19-38 - $1399

Miter Saw - Bosch GCM12SD - $600

Sander - ETS EC 150/5 - $485

Extractor - CT26 - $700

Domino - DF500 - $990

Dust Collector - $1700

Piping (Lots of variables here) - $600 - $4500

What he failed to budget was buying this whole list for $3,000 off craigslist.

Im not against combo units--funny how this identical thread at another forum was universally for one combo saw, shaper, mortiser, jointer, planer unit-- but it would really chap my ass to have a 12" planer. I used to routinely push the 13" limit on my dewalt benchtop. 

17 hours ago, BillyJack said:

Unless it has been mentioned already I would put a fair amount in to a good air compressor. Good air tools can be much cheaper...

Even with a Domino, I'd still like to have a larger mortiser....

IMG576-main.jpg

I have the df500 and the mortiser you attached. Every time I go the mortiser route, it strikes me at how painfully slow that process is. I want to sell the thing and get a 700. Anything that is bigger than the 700 can deliver I'm fine to do with a router and chisel. Those occasions would be so few and far between.  The dominos completely replaced the light and medium duty mortisers. 

5 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

Even if it didn't replace the mortiser, what tools would you pass over in favor of a HCM?  Unlimited budget, sure I see getting a nice beefy HCM, but on a limited budget where lines have to be drawn, I don't see a HCM making the final cut.

I guess it would depend on often you use M&T joints and what kind of furniture you tend to build. I can tell you that if I was building a lot G&G and Arts and Crafts furniture I would prefer an HCM or to hand chop them over using dominos. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

I've seen a lot of weakness in the joint with the Domino. Half the moving parts in a M&T.....

I am just going to guess that was poor choices. I don't see guys here using their Domino in ways that leave much to chance. 

The only weakness I've encountered in the Domino is the price.  There's plenty of Festool offerings that warrant complaints...Domino ain't one of 'em.

But if I had the space for a floor-standing HCM, I'd own one, even though I'd still use the Domino the majority of the time.  It would come in handy occasionally.

17 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

You guess wrong.

You have seen a domino joint fail, where a similarly sized intregal tenon would have been okay? This surprises me, as I have used hundreds of dominoes and they are all still doing great!

Can you give us an example, or photo maybe?