What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

5 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I kept one in the toolbox on my truck for years.   One day, it went off, and covered everything in there with gray dust.  It took most of a day to clean everything-big toolbox.

I was thinking of strapping it in the bed of the pickup some where. I've heard about stuff like that. I just researched and supposedly they are rated to 120 for storage and the UL rating also includes 175 for 7 days strait.

For what we did today, we're replacing the roof on a boat house.   This was not a job I wanted to do.  We're in the middle of a Lime Plaster job in an old house, but fortunately, that's a job that has a lot of waiting time between coats-as in days and weeks.

The guy whose house we put a standing seam roof on, last Fall, wanted me to put the same roof on his boat house.  I didn't really want to do it, but told him I'd see how much the materials cost, so I figured up what was needed.  I called my metal provider, and gave him the list, asking him to figure it up, and let me know how much.

The metal place called about a week later, and said that the order was ready.   I hadn't planned on doing this job until maybe next Fall.  But things being what they were, and in the middle of a job with downtime anyway, I decided to knock it out before the weather gets hot.

Normally, it wouldn't have been too bad.......until we got into it.   The plywood is 1/2" 3 ply, on two foot centers.   Every shingle has 8 to 12 2" nails in it, so you can't strip it right off.  Taking the ridge, and a couple of rows off, I figured it would take 30 hours of work we didn't want to do to get the shingles off, and then the plywood needed repair, or probably replacement.

After talking with the owner, that it was going to be almost 4k labor just to get the shingles off, and then we'd have to figure out what to do with the sheathing, he agreed with me that the best thing to do was put another layer of 5/8" plywood over the top of the shingles.

So what we did today, and yesterday, was put on 48 sheets of plywood, nailing, and screwing to crooked rafters that we couldn't see.  That normally wouldn't have been too bad of a job, but I'm down to one helper, and we had to carry the plywood down a hill a couple of hundred feet on my monster handtruck.

No fun, but that's the way it goes.  Tomorrow, we'll put the standing seam metal on.  At least it's been in the 70's for these days.  You can tell by the picture how much sag there is between rafters, but you can't see all the long nails.  The cupola is just laying over that side, after taking it off the ridge.  It needs repair too.

IMG_0797.thumb.JPG.6d07047ed5830ee96f7c3926203d55d6.JPG

• Like 2

Good idea Drew. You might want to remove the red and white paper tag that’s under the black strap. It’s a service tag which you’ll never use and it blocks the instructions on how to use the extinguisher. Good insurance to have one of these.

On the lake here, there is typically some type of roof over a couple of boat lifts, plus an open deck area.   The total square footage is limited, but I forget what it is.  I think something like 2500 sq. ft.   This one is a gable roof over two boat lifts, plus an open deck area.  Jetski lifts on the sides are not counted in the total area.

The lake here is maintained within a one foot variance, so boathouses, and docks can be built on fixed pilings.

You might see a couple of other variations in the background that have decks over the boat lifts.

They can also be built on rivers but you drive the boat in and tie it up to a dock or if your fancy have a lift inside to life the boat out of the water. It's like a garage for your boat. I guess what tom described is a bit different that the picture probably the roof with out the sides.

2014-dec15_boathouse.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 6:27 AM, Brendon_t said:

@Tom King 

Tom, I started with Google but the results vary so much. I'm not familiar with what a boat house is, but it looks like a house right on the lake to store your boat. General idea?  I thought it could be like a pool house for the lake also. Help a Californian out.

I guess boat house and house boat are different? Back when I was a kid, my family and another co-owned a house boat. We’re talking a few years back. It was supported by 55 gal. drums and was anchored by another drum or two filled with concrete. Bunk beds, kitchen and living area all in one small space. A deck out front with a potty out back, ie, there was no plumbing. A loud, smelly generator provided lighting as well as I can remember. After the second hurricane set it out onto to the prairie marsh, they abandoned the poor thing. 

Boat houses around here float because droughts & floods vary the lake level geatly. And if Florida and Alabama win the lawsuits who knows what happens to Lake Lanier. I'm sure size limits exist but basically a " U" shaped or "E " shaped floating dock with a roof. Some are big enough for a 16' x 70' houseboat to park inside.  I've seen a few that were inclosed and had lifts to raise ski boats out of the water.

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Installed a 4 post lift...I am so ready to get back to woodworking really kicked our butts this one did.

IMG_3206.JPG.ee046db58f790c77a21e8cbdcb8a177f.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG.d8ea5aeb899d3b7199135996ddda51db.JPG

Now I just need the garage door guy to get out here and raise the door.

Sweet car and lift.. I'm just wondering will a big car fit on the lift with door closed and how many lbs it can take? 

23 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Sweet car and lift.. I'm just wondering will a big car fit on the lift with door closed and how many lbs it can take? 

Thanks! I will park my wife's MX5 under it so no worries there my car (in the picture is only about  2400 lbs.) The door will be raised about 14" so anything under 6' will fit under it, regarding length with the jet skis in front of it I am limited to probably 18' in length. Its rated for 7000 lbs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Installed a 4 post lift...I am so ready to get back to woodworking really kicked our butts this one did.

Ahhh questions... Where did you get it? How much was it? Was it a huge pain in the butt? When I need to replace my clutch can i come over? :D

When i rock and install a heater in my garage it's going to be really really hard to abstain form installing a lift in my 3rd stall.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Ahhh questions... Where did you get it? How much was it? Was it a huge pain in the butt? When I need to replace my clutch can i come over? :D

When i rock and install a heater in my garage it's going to be really really hard to abstain form installing a lift in my 3rd stall.

ASEDeals.com, $3,100, Much more then it should have been. It's really not that complex of project but the directions that come with the lift were some of the worst I have ever used for any project. Most pictures were not accurate, referring to pages and illustrations not on the referenced page, etc. Now that I have done one I could probably cut the install time in half. 

I totally support the public exposure of products with pathetic instructions !  It isn't that hard to list what size wrenches, sockets and exact steps in the correct order to follow. They should even include warnings on common shortcuts that might cause problems.(Like don't use an impact driver, wrench is safer)  

We tied an 1880 temperature record today ! 91 degrees & humidity was pretty high as well. This does not bode well for the upcoming summer sweltering heat.  Ordering a big exhaust fan for the shop right now !

• Like 1

Took a short walk along the river trail that runs through the middle of town to record some B roll and background sound for my next video.  Did some talking about copying ideas.  They might have to get Tom King up here to fix the bridge before it falls down, but I don't think the city can afford him. 

spoon.thumb.jpg.b49f1f7fcc4a772addf2f692af2ffcc2.jpg

bridge.thumb.jpg.b89bdccf54305f3665731ce688b4d81d.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Ok, I give. What's the deal with those tracks on the bridge????

The only thing I can think of is that they did it as a last disabling of the track to keep anything from rolling onto the bridge without having to pull it all up.

edit:  There was a fire in 1980 (arson) so I suppose the heat might have buckled the rails.  Seems too perfect for that though.