What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

46 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

... I also bought 10 walnut saplings that will be here tomorrow i'm going to plant a good 6 of those hoping that at least 3 take. My friend is getting the other 4. In 5-7 years i'm hoping to start getting a nut harvest.

I hope walnut grows faster where you are than where I am. I have one surviving tree grown from a batch of nuts from a tree I got from my Grandpa's place before he passed in 1999.

My tree is now almost waist high! :o

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

And as a legacy, y’alls grandkids will cut them down and make you an urn, 100 years from now. No Chestnut saplings? Drew, where did you order the walnut saplings from? 

I bought them here.

https://www.starkbros.com/products/nut-trees/walnut-trees/black-walnut-seedlings

I seriously thought about some chestnut trees, there are European and Asian varieties that still grow here. If i knew i could get away with it I'd try and get an American chestnut started from seed. I know where there is a stand of them with in a few hours drive, but i have a feeling the area is well protected.

8 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I hope walnut grows faster where you are than where I am. I have one surviving tree grown from a batch of nuts from a tree I got from my Grandpa's place before he passed in 1999.

My tree is now almost waist high! :o

From the reviews and what I've read they should grow faster than that. people were saying they get 1'-2' per year of growth.

Black walnut trees produce substances that prevent almost any thing from growing under the canopy. Choose your planting site accordingly. It's usually close to 20 years before serious crop of nuts. Maybe a few at 5-6 years. The nut crops can be very uneven, might be few to none one year and a bumper crop the next.  It's a very messy tree always dropping something. And the husks will stain your hands and driveway. 

So just like nearly every other tree that makes a huge mess at least once during the year. From my research they are similar to most fruit or nut baring trees, where they have on and off years one after the other. It is also worth noting that it isn't the husk or the stuff that falls from the tree that kills neighboring plants it's the root system.

I already have the perfect spots picked out for them full of vegetation that i want dead permanently.

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Black walnut trees produce substances that prevent almost any thing from growing under the canopy. Choose your planting site accordingly. It's usually close to 20 years before serious crop of nuts. Maybe a few at 5-6 years. The nut crops can be very uneven, might be few to none one year and a bumper crop the next.  It's a very messy tree always dropping something. And the husks will stain your hands and driveway. 

We planted and tended dozens of flower species tight under walnut with no issue. Dense shade grass began outside that two foot ring. Is it possible there is another cause to what you describe?

From Wiki...

Black walnut is also allelopathic, which means that it releases chemicals from roots and other tissues that harm other organisms and give the tree a competitive advantage; this is often undesirable as it can harm garden plants and grasses.

Every black walnut I've been around had a big barren patch around it. Maybe it increases as it gets older ? Or you got lucky? 

50 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

From Wiki...

Black walnut is also allelopathic, which means that it releases chemicals from roots and other tissues that harm other organisms and give the tree a competitive advantage; this is often undesirable as it can harm garden plants and grasses.

Every black walnut I've been around had a big barren patch around it. Maybe it increases as it gets older ? Or you got lucky? 

I think it can depends on the plant that is under it as well. Also if the conditions aren't right for the plant, like shade water amount, the tree can be more successful at getting rid of it. Kinda like how the flu impacts older and younger people more. Also soil properties impact the success of the allelopaty. We have very sandy well drained soil so it won't be as successful, also like i said previously i don't much mind if it kills what's it's growing over.

I just went by the walnuts I used to tend. The tiger lillys that were planted around one more than 30 years ago still hug the trunk and thrive. The other several have grass right up to the trunks. I will need to dig into that Wiki post Steve. I just don’t see where it is coming from. 

Both the neighbors and my grandparents walnut trees had a fairly barren patch under them.  Both were full grown trees.  It could be something that was diminished by selective breeding of the cultivar being sold in nurseries these days. I would bet that easier to crack shells could also be a trait that was bred for. Hell those trees probably sprouted close to 100 years ago and were planted by some ambitious squirrel. 

Speaking of rodents we spotted the groundhogs near the shop, mom & dad with 2 little ones grazing on clover.  It's kinda nice to see them thriving so close to the urban sprawl. 

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

From the reviews and what I've read they should grow faster than that. people were saying they get 1'-2' per year of growth.

Yeah, the only trees that grow that fast in my neck of the woods are loblolly pines and red oak .... just slightly slower growing than kudzu.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Both the neighbors and my grandparents walnut trees had a fairly barren patch under them.  Both were full grown trees.  It could be something that was diminished by selective breeding of the cultivar being sold in nurseries these days. I would bet that easier to crack shells could also be a trait that was bred for. Hell those trees probably sprouted close to 100 years ago and were planted by some ambitious squirrel. 

Speaking of rodents we spotted the groundhogs near the shop, mom & dad with 2 little ones grazing on clover.  It's kinda nice to see them thriving so close to the urban sprawl. 

These are institutional trees at a place established in 1946 or so. Just to fully flesh out the conversation. 

14 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I planted a black walnut tree from a walnut.  In 5-6  years the tree was over 10 feet high and producing voluminous walnuts (I was too stupid to figure out the husks, so we didn't use them!  But the husks produced an impressive stain.)  

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Finally made sawdust again for the first time in a week. Feels good even though it's just pine.

IMG_20180518_203944_412.thumb.jpg.38e21ac85542afcdfb017cdf963aac35.jpg

With the combo of pine, speed square and circular saw, all the DIY youtubers would be proud! 

Good that you’re keeping busy doing something though. Im feeling in rut and not sure what to do next. 

20 hours ago, lewisc said:

Good that you’re keeping busy doing something though. Im feeling in rut and not sure what to do next. 

Been there a couple of times. You’ll see something or someone will want something and you’ll be buying materials and making sawdust again soon. 

It's hard to keep up with you guys anyway, but I'm on the Olympic Peninsula admiring the trees and geology (another passion.)

Woodworkers here seem to do one of few things when they get board, er, bored.  They find some burl and make something creative from it, or they take a board (live edge, of course) and make a sign - such as "Slug Crossing".  There's also a lot of driftwood to be creative with.

I know you will be interested in the following illustration of squished turbidite sediments over a thrust fault that is presumed to be part of an accretionary wedge, scraped off the ocean crust that was being subducted under the peninsula, and later uplifted by other subducted sediments being squeezed underneath.  The blue water bottle is of quaternian age, whose owner is older than dirt.

(Oops, the thrust fault didn't come through, sorry.)

Beach4IMG_0154.JPG