What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Today I was searching for some inspiration. I don’t skateboard but I thought about making a long board. 

I came  across this video where at about 4mins in, the lady was using the table saw to trim the edges of this board. I’m assuming it’s a modified saw to take a sanding disk but still, looks a bit scary. 

On 5/19/2018 at 1:14 AM, lewisc said:

With the combo of pine, speed square and circular saw, all the DIY youtubers would be proud! 

Good that you’re keeping busy doing something though. Im feeling in rut and not sure what to do next. 

Except I'm building a shed not a table for my formal dining room ... :ph34r::D

On 5/18/2018 at 10:16 PM, mat60 said:

Hope your going to take us along on your shed build..

It's over here I'm just not posting as many updates. Between work and spring yard work my time is at a premium. My boss keeps telling me that in a couple weeks things are going to slow down. It's been 3 months now.

11 hours ago, Tom King said:

Are you going to cut the sole plate out of the door opening after you set the wall up?

Yes indeed that front wall would be a floppy mess.

17 hours ago, lewisc said:

Today I was searching for some inspiration. I don’t skateboard but I thought about making a long board. 

I came  across this video where at about 4mins in, the lady was using the table saw to trim the edges of this board. I’m assuming it’s a modified saw to take a sanding disk but still, looks a bit scary. 

I’ve seen those advertised but never seen one in action. So you’re still stir crazy, looking for that next project;)

Made some Jamaica Jerk Chicken Tenders. So fine with the Scotch Bonnet Pepper dust and Ginger in it.

Also rebuilt several outdoor fountains and got all sprinklers working with only three visits to HD!

Get it super hot!

ba06eecba931dc52cc876064a00ae4a9.jpg

Sear and then indirect.

21b16ee7c927f866eca43ed68ae2b2bd.jpeg

Ready to go!

a45e27e31a0345cebe300bda096d572e.jpeg

• Like 1

And chicken is third on my meat list and that looks good! Three trips to HD, I can relate. I have an uncle in Louisiana that is 80miles from the closet big box. He makes a list and makes a weekly trip. After four days, they call me to make sure I’m ok. 

And chicken is third on my meat list and that looks good! Three trips to HD, I can relate. I have an uncle in Louisiana that is 80miles from the closet big box. He makes a list and makes a weekly trip. After four days, they call me to make sure I’m ok. 

Anything involving water(plumbing) seems to take multiple trips. Electrical is so easy. Carpentry is so doable. Plumbing is so maddening.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Last time I was in the Pacific Northwest we saw bald eagles all over the place and no whales for most of a whale watching tour. Then when it was about time to head back in one surfaced right behind me and blew whale snot all over me !  I think whales are best appreciated from afar. 

I can appreciate that!  Whales are also a bit scary when seen up close from a skiff!  But this trip we haven't seen as much as a spout.

Yes, bald eagles have made a comeback, and yes, they're all over the place.

40 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Today I fixed my backyard gate. It's been getting quite difficult to open for several years , yet I kept struggling with it each time. Got fed up and went for the tools with determination. 15 minutes later it was working quite well. It's not doing the job that's hard, it's getting started.

I'm guessing that this time you had a better understanding of the problem, and a plan to fix it.

Watching the tide come in at Port Townsend, while Kathy plans a Mediterranean cruise for next year and I wonder why leave the states (I know, I need to broaden my perspective!)  We saw a black-tailed deer swimming in the bay while three herons fished nearby.  Haven't spotted whales but it's been a wildlife rich trip.
It seems like all the wood on this peninsula is in some stage of rotting from the heartwood (tree stumps, poles, stanchions, pylons...)  
WaxingTideIMG_0170.thumb.JPG.f0dfd1ad60ed472c2701979cd0b962fb.JPG

You been to the Wooden Boat deal? I’ve always wanted to get over for that but September is a tough time of year for teachers to get away.

Love visiting that area.
  • Like 1

I got up early this morning, while it was still cool, and fabricated this hydraulic hose hanger out of scrap on the batwing mower.  Hydraulics are to lift the wings on each side, and adjust the cutting height.

The rest of the day, I decided to do something that I haven't done in a long time-sit down and do nothing.   I did go back out late this afternoon, since it had clouded up a lot, and cooled off some, and hung the hoses with stainless hose clamps, old sailboat leftover stainless cables, and nicropress sleeves.   It started raining so I didn't quite get finished, and forgot to take another picture, but it was all I wanted to do today anyway.

Holidays at the lake are pretty awful for us.  Everyone who has a place on the lake is here for the long weekend, along with as many guests as they can cram in.  We had a group of young kids in the pasture with the horses, a Deputy stopped by and said we had a crowd in the rock quarry, and there were four wheelers, and motorcycles I've never heard before on our trails.  This morning, when I was doing that welding, two golf carts of kids stopped by, curious about what I was doing, and not one of them knew that they weren't supposed to look at a welding arc, even though I'm sure every one of them came from a well-off, educated family.

Normally, there is almost no one around, and little traffic on the roads.   We'll be surrounded by fireworks in about an hour and a half, about the time when it gets dark.

IMG_0862.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We also like it quiet and stay home on holiday weekends.    I don't care for fireworks around the home much.  Like the hanger and the fact you made it out of scrap.   Looks like you have a nice equipment trailer to hall your tractor also.

1 hour ago, mat60 said:

We also like it quiet and stay home on holiday weekends.    I don't care for fireworks around the home much.  Like the hanger and the fact you made it out of scrap.   Looks like you have a nice equipment trailer to hall your tractor also.

The tractor in the picture weighs 17,000 lb.  The capacity of that trailer is 12,000, but of that 3800 is the trailer.  I don't have anything to put the big tractor on, so it stays here.  My middle sized tractor with the 7' bushog fits on that trailer, but we can't put the ramps all the way up, so they get chained to the tailwheels of the bushog that hang out past the back.  That's with the bucket of the tractor resting on top of the gooseneck.   All the equipment I have is like me-old, and worn out, but still gets a lot of work done.

I didn't beat that batwing up like it is.  It was like that when I bought it at an auction.  One wing wouldn't go up.  It was only 4 years old, but had been used hard by a roadside clipping contractor.  It went cheap because I was the only person crazy enough to bother with it.  They put it on my trailer sideways.  I thought it was probably the cylinder, but after taking one end loose, the cylinder worked fine.  That left the telescopic drive shaft.  The bent driveshaft is the vertical support for the new hose rack.

I ran over some Sweetgum saplings the last time I used that mower.  One whipped up, and knocked the hoses aloose from the remote couplers.  Before I could stop, they had been destroyed by going under the mower.  New ones cost $331.    I didn't want to buy any more, and need to use the mower, so I had to get to work.  Those hoses cost about 1/5 what I had in the cost of that mower.  It'll cut 10 acres in less than 45 minutes.

• Like 1