What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

To tired to tell about my 13 hour day.  It was set up by an unusual wind direction, predicted for today in yesterday morning's weather report, so yesterday afternoon, with no help, I went and put the finish coat on a lime plaster job, so I could do this today.  I left early this morning to pick up a mini-excavator, 35 miles one way, carried it back late, came home, and picked up the scrappings around the fires by hand.  This was burning the leftovers from having the Pine trees taken off of our point.

I snapped this picture as it was getting dark.  The camera changed the lighting.

IMG_0786.JPG

2 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

Recovering in Zion Park from a hike to Angel's Landing.  The down hill was brutal (wood working doesn't seem to do much for leg fitness!)

Oh man! Angel's Landing is one of the most spectacular hikes I've ever done. While you're there, do the West Rim trail if you want to give your quads a real workout. The hike is not that difficult except for the last leg which descends a cliff face via a steep switchback trail. I last did that one about 20 years ago & still feel the burn.

The Narrows is another great one. The last time were were there we got caught in a flash flood in the narrows. Fortunately we were in a good spot & it was an experience not to be missed. After we got out the ranger told us that very few get to see that because they close that trail if there is even a hint of rain expected.

I could go on for hours about that place. I just love it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

Recovering in Zion Park from a hike to Angel's Landing.  The down hill was brutal (wood working doesn't seem to do much for leg fitness!)

IMG_0134.JPG

I could climb that if I wanted but I don’t know if there would be enough tequila left for the courage to come down;)! Beautiful sight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, Dr, I've never heard a story like that!  We did the Narrows a few years ago, but no flash flood!  That would be a story for the grandkids. 

I'll have to do the rim trails when not accompanied by my spouse.  I appreciate the tip!

Coop, I thought of you on the trip, would really have liked to swing by, if we had another few thousand in the tank!  To be clear, the hike to Angel's Landing (the one that pedestrians like me take) goes up the backside - not the wall that is in the photo.  But the view is pretty spectacular.

I bought a new cordless lawnmower ! 56volt Ego 21" self propelled w a 7.5amp hr battery. I switched to cordless blower, weed eater & hedge trimmer 3 years ago (36-40volt Max Black & Decker) . Got fed up with gas going bad and mower being hard to start.  First use was on a hill and 8" to 12" grass that caught the attention of the " lawn police" and a warning notice giving me a week to get it cut. 20 minutes and around half of a full charge while using the catcher and the self propel is pretty good results for me. 30 minutes recharged the battery and gave me a chance to cool off. Supposed to be 1 hr to fully charge a battery from the 15% left red warning light level. 

$499 for the mower, battery & charger. 5 yr warranty on the mower, 3 yr on the battery. Replacement or spare battery is $358 !!!!! I think I can function with just one battery at those prices.

IMG_1313.thumb.jpg.7a48950bb4e291f837553468cb9e7e8e.jpg

And of course the battery WILL go bad; just a matter of how much the warranty helps.

I think that power tools are a clever female gimmick to get men to do honeydo's.  I got an Ego blower for the wife so she could enjoy blowing around the property.  (I also used it clearing light snow off the deck this winter.)  I think you probably got the best cordless brand.

Today was the first non-raining Saturday we've had in many weeks. I changed the oil in my truck, took the weekly trash to the convenience center, dropped a few bushels of my wife's old clothes at the Goodwill donation center, took the dog to the vet for vaccinations, took my truck through the carwash. Made it home by noon, and spent the next 6 hours 'spring cleaning' my garage/workshop. Three wheelbarrows of scrap wood cut up and hauled to the 'compost' pile, a pickup load of random junk hauled to the dump, and a throrough dust blowout with the leaf blower. Reorganized my plywood storage and a bunch of mechanic tools, never quite made it to my woodworking corner ....

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Today was the first non-raining Saturday we've had in many weeks. I changed the oil in my truck, took the weekly trash to the convenience center, dropped a few bushels of my wife's old clothes at the Goodwill donation center, took the dog to the vet for vaccinations, took my truck through the carwash. Made it home by noon, and spent the next 6 hours 'spring cleaning' my garage/workshop. Three wheelbarrows of scrap wood cut up and hauled to the 'compost' pile, a pickup load of random junk hauled to the dump, and a throrough dust blowout with the leaf blower. Reorganized my plywood storage and a bunch of mechanic tools, never quite made it to my woodworking corner ....

That's allot of work for one day. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today i hung some safty equipment. I had it around but it finally has a home. I determined that i need to have at least 1 of these in the 4 major areas. My shop, The garage, the kitchen, and my pickup. I'm probably most likely to use the one in my pickup as well.

5af255e47b502_83553826849954331553Faccount_id3D1.thumb.jpg.fe927a32b197bb9e1c395372098c982c.jpg