What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

23 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

@Immortan D Nice setup, those are pricey tools. Any secret to finding them on sale? I could use some new linesman pliers. I almost bought them from amazon but I keep talking myself out of it.

I got most of my Knipex from Sears. They had lower prices, but that was several years ago. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lewisc said:

Any tips on where to start with smoking? 

Does spending more cash on a smoker get better results?

This can be a real black whole question I started with a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker for a year or so, I think it was a good starting point but wasn't what I really wanted but helped me learn.  I think the large ones are about $300.   Then sold it and bought the Lang offset smoker that I have now and I am way happier with it.  I think that it helps to spend a little money.  super cheap is going to be frustrating in trying to control you temp.  Another good option if you don't want to fuss with things is a Traeger smoker these burn wood pellets at a controlled rate to give you constant temperature.  You can get the pellets in all different types of wood.

• Thanks 1

This can be a real black whole question I started with a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker for a year or so, I think it was a good starting point but wasn't what I really wanted but helped me learn.  I think the large ones are about $300.   Then sold it and bought the Lang offset smoker that I have now and I am way happier with it.  I think that it helps to spend a little money.  super cheap is going to be frustrating in trying to control you temp.  Another good option if you don't want to fuss with things is a Traeger smoker these burn wood pellets at a controlled rate to give you constant temperature.  You can get the pellets in all different types of wood.

The WSM is a great way to start. Then go to The Virtual Weber Bullet for much info. The BBQ Brethren is another great group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Chet for the recipe. Again, a topic just for recipes and how to’s would be great here. It would help make us fat and happy woodworkers.  And with you as a Mod and Kev as Admin, you guys should have some pull with the Boss. 

Hi Steve.. The building with the flat roof is my showroom area is that is attached to our home and the grill pic is a storage area in the barn where my shop is. I don't have allot in showroom anymore because I mostly do custom work now. Better that way.

16 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Good for you Mark on the quit smoking. But now you can smell everything, good and bad. But that’s ok. Are the pics recent, I mean snow in April? 

Thank You  .Yes pic is from today.. We still have a little snow left but the last week or so we have been getting temps of about 50f for highs and it feels great.  Its going to cool off with maybe light snow and rain so Ill get more done in the shop.  Things are muddy because of all the late winter snow. Been getting ready to do some camping sometime in May.  Wife and I are looking forward to it..  Oh..Yes I smell everything good bad and real bad..:)

Must be a slow week!

Well, I cleaned the shop today, while Traegering a round roast.  Roast came out very tender (not always the case with round.)  The shop got a little better organized with a re-routed electircal cord to my work bench from a ceiling outlet - I can stop tripping over the extension cord.

Mud season, here.  We'll be heading to the desert country for a break, soon.

[Edit: watch out, Coop, I may be headed your way!]

• Like 1

Come on down bud. Unfortunately, you won’t see a Long Horn and oil well on every corner, but we will show you some Southern Hospitality. Seriously, if you find yourself in my neck of the woods, give me a heads up and dinner for you two, and maybe a cold drink or two, is on us.