What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

26 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

That is one serious smoker you have there Chet

Its the smallest of these 36 inch models langbbqsmokers.com36. 1/4 inch plate steel holds the heat real well.  This guy, I think, has the best design for these type smokers, it has a reverse air flow so the smoke coming in isn't screaming hot and there is a more even heat across the whole grill area.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chet said:

Just to tease a little further here is the finished pastrami.  I put on a total of 12 pounds and ended up with 9 pounds. 

IMG_0581.thumb.jpg.900d4247d5da1963a8da08f7d44263ea.jpg

That looks awesome? How long? Also, I couldn't tell is the smoker you have a woodburner? I went to the website and it appears it is but I also saw something that appeared to be a propane hook up

It took about 6 hours, one piece a little longer.  I do it at about 250 degrees and go until the internal temp is about 180-185.  The smoker is a wood burner, I use apple or cherry.  I tried some almond once but there wasn't much to the flavor.  One good thing about woodworking is I always have little scraps for kindling to get it started and up to temp with out using my applewood for that process, of course I don't use anything exotic in the smoker even if its just a little chunk.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chet said:

It took about 6 hours, one piece a little longer.  I do it at about 250 degrees and go until the internal temp is about 180-185.  The smoker is a wood burner, I use apple or cherry.  I tried some almond once but there wasn't much to the flavor.  One good thing about woodworking is I always have little scraps for kindling to get it started and up to temp with out using my applewood for that process, of course I don't use anything exotic in the smoker even if its just a little chunk.

You don't use walnut do you? I don't know how it is burned but i know it's toxic to plants and the sawdust can be used to keep weeds down.

While I don't expect most to understand the like for the RV thing my wife and I will enjoy allot it together.  So yesterday I had fun installing a small TV in it for the rainy days.  Now I also need to learn to be a better cook like some of you.

100_0573.JPG

• Like 2

Nice looking rig.

We have a large tent trailer that we use all the time.  Its a Coleman, 24 ft when it is fully set up.  It has a water heater and the refrigerator runs off of everything but almost all the places we go have no hook ups so a TV would do us no good. :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chet said:

Nice looking rig.

We have a large tent trailer that we use all the time.  Its a Coleman, 24 ft when it is fully set up.  It has a water heater and the refrigerator runs off of everything but almost all the places we go have no hook ups so a TV would do us no good. :)

Its cool that you dry camp.   Don't no if my wife would be up to it but to be honest I'm thinking about a small generator to charge my batteries for lights and water pump exc.  That's about as close to roughing it as we will go and most of the time we will be full hook up.  PS  All the great food you been showing is really making me look forward to camping and eating . They go together so well.

I put LED bulbs in all my interior lights, so having done that my deep cycle battery will give me seven days.  Of course we spend most of the evening around the camp fire.  Water tank in the trailer and two 5 gallon jugs and we have hot water for the week and one propane tank will usually run the hot water heater and refrigerator for a week but I always carry and extra tank.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 2:50 PM, Chet said:

Just to tease a little further here is the finished pastrami.  I put on a total of 12 pounds and ended up with 9 pounds. 

IMG_0581.thumb.jpg.900d4247d5da1963a8da08f7d44263ea.jpg

I put on a total of 12 pounds and still have every darn one of them. That sure looks good! 

• Like 1

We've spent our share of time in an RV trailer, mostly during all the years that Pam was showing dogs.  One thing especially nice about it was having our own bathroom for stops on long trips while we were on the road.

We have spent more nights camping out of backpacks though, than in the camper.

I never got around to building a shed for the camper, and by the time we decided to sell it, the weather was taking a toll on it.  I was glad to see it go.

One thing especially nice to have for an RV is a dumping station at home.   I just had a Y into the line going to the septic tank, so we never had to bother with it on weekend trips while we were away from home.  A 50 amp box out by the barn gave us a good guest house too.

• Like 2

I read an article about a guy that repurposed a pack of cells from a wrecked Tesla to build a homemade powerwall in his RV. He covered the roof with solar cells. He had to replace the charge controllers because he didn't have Tesla software. Neat project but way beyond my skill set.

• Like 1

Only need to keep the plaster on for 3or 4 weeks, fortunately I've taken 6 months off work to fully renovate our old house built in the early 1640's.

I'm in the middle of making the windows & doors, we're waiting for the plumber to give us a date when he can start, he's always at least two week late so no real rush.

• Like 1