What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Today, I had a meeting with a Historic Preservation Foundation.   I'm 67, but the average age of the Foundation members is probably 15 years older than me.  Long story short, I got home at 4:30, after the meeting starting at 10:30, with a stop for lunch.  I'm about three times as tired as I would be after a good day's normal work, and I wasn't even one of the presenters, but did answer questions all day.

14 hours ago, Tom King said:

Today, I had a meeting with a Historic Preservation Foundation.   I'm 67, but the average age of the Foundation members is probably 15 years older than me.  Long story short, I got home at 4:30, after the meeting starting at 10:30, with a stop for lunch.  I'm about three times as tired as I would be after a good day's normal work, and I wasn't even one of the presenters, but did answer questions all day.

So it appears 'Historic Preservation' is working for all those octogenarians you met with. Pick up any good tips? :D

8 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

My reward for waiting to shovel was a day and a half of snow, this morning, but I failed to mention my Honda snow thrower.

Hope to finish the sled today (and go sledding?)

Your living in sled paradise, hope you got out for a ride!  Rode in 3’ of fresh powder 2 weeks ago, wore my ass out!

Ah, yes; sled paradise sometimes (like right now).  Pretty much like your neck of the woods.  As it happens (Karma?)  I sprained  my knee on the awful snow we had just before the wonderful powder that we've had since.  I have a week or so to go (we'll see if the good snow holds up!)

In the mean time, I finished most of my router sled, but paused to consider how to cut parallel and vertical slots (without a router table.)  I'll be back at it tomorrow, probably with the drill press and some mortising drill press chisel bits.

I hope  your sledding is wonderful!

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:34 PM, Pondhockey said:

Finished a router sled (to be used in flattening part of a slab bottom.)

Proof of existence:

IMG_0009.JPG

After seeing your sled here I been looking at others and just wondered what the boxes are for that are on the ends of your jig. I have seen a cleat underneath but not this. Also what kind of router bit do you use?..

It looks like those are his flat reference surfaces and he can adjust the height via the wingnuts.

I've been awake since 2:30 this morning thinking the wind was going to blow the tree behind my house down. Now that my wife is on the HOA we can finally get them to remove it. I just need to find someone who can slab it up before we go through the process of getting it cut down. Hoping to make an outdoor slab table out of it, I know it's Oak, just not sure what kind.

9 minutes ago, legenddc said:

It looks like those are his flat reference surfaces and he can adjust the height via the wingnuts.

I've been awake since 2:30 this morning thinking the wind was going to blow the tree behind my house down. Now that my wife is on the HOA we can finally get them to remove it. I just need to find someone who can slab it up before we go through the process of getting it cut down. Hoping to make an outdoor slab table out of it, I know it's Oak, just not sure what kind.

Thanks..We have some wind going on here but I'm thinking where you are its real bad. Hope the tree stays off your house.

43 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Thanks..We have some wind going on here but I'm thinking where you are its real bad. Hope the tree stays off your house.

Yup. Just outside of DC. Schools and the federal government are closed it's so windy. 60-70 mph gusts. I'm swaying right now on the 8th floor at my office. But we still have power.

You're going to get hit with wind and snow right?

• Like 1

Hey, I'm sorry not to reply to Mat, thanks to Legend for stepping in.  

Lots of snow here, too.   The banks are higher than the snow thrower chute so I have to knock them down, then clear them.  

I'm working on some supports that let me use the router sled on top my table saw table.  I'll show the whole thing later.

Thanks for the great link, Werker.  We do get cabin fever around here, but usually when the snow is bad (like spring, which is mud season.)  It was absolutely beautiful today, and since I have a snow thrower, I just wave (all five fingers) to the plow guy.

• Like 1