What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Oh damn! I built my son a ramp to do his bike tricks on back on 10/9/87. I was concerned that it would move when he hit it with the bike so... I tried it myself. Ruptured spleen and a concussion. As I recall, Crown Royal played a part in all of that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 20/03/2018 at 6:50 AM, Chet said:

Just to tease a little further here is the finished pastrami.  I put on a total of 12 pounds and ended up with 9 pounds. 

IMG_0581.thumb.jpg.900d4247d5da1963a8da08f7d44263ea.jpg

Could you share your full recipe?

One of my bucket list foods to make this year is pastrami. I’ve found a few recipes online but would like to see how they compare. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Oh damn! I built my son a ramp to do his bike tricks on back on 10/9/87. I was concerned that it would move when he hit it with the bike so... I tried it myself. Ruptured spleen and a concussion. As I recall, Crown Royal played a part in all of that. 

I done something similar on Christmas day back in 77 broken collarbone , again on a skateboard :unsure:

Back in my high school days I skipped church one day to take a spin on my friend's new motorbike & ended up with a bath in gasoline (no fire though), 2 broken wrists & lots of road rash. The worst part was the lecture from Dad. I mean, this is one of the times when a lecture is just not needed; consequences  have obviously been learned. Dad just couldn't help himself though.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Back in my high school days I skipped church one day to take a spin on my friend's new motorbike & ended up with a bath in gasoline (no fire though), 2 broken wrists & lots of road rash. The worst part was the lecture from Dad. I mean, this is one of the times when a lecture is just not needed; consequences  have obviously been learned. Dad just couldn't help himself though.

No father wants his idiot son to prove it.

• Haha 1

Short Story. I had a add in craiglist  for my old camper for $700..  A guy and his wife show up and fell in love with it. I told them everything that is wrong with it and then some. They are very nice people and I could tell don't have much. He never even tried to talk me down on the price and showed up today with the rest of the money and will be coming for it in the morning. .Here is the thing that bothers me. I told him the tires are bad from the start and I'm a bit worried about that and the fact today he tells me his son is going to hall it with a SUV and its to heavy for that and when I told him he said he would go slow. On top of that I give him a LP tank and he openings his trunk and there is a big jar of pennys in there .. I offered him some money back and he wouldn't take it. I feel like crap about this.   Anyway that's what is up today..

100_0479.JPG

12 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I had a new neighbor come over today and asked to borrow my “skill saw”. I had talked to him a couple of times, nice enough, a plumber, so figured what the heck. He brought it back and was admiring my shop. Obviously not a woodworker ;). Then he asked if I did commissions ( 3 kids and not a pot to piss in, but hey, I’ve been there). I told him no, only a hobby, but what did he have in mind. He said “a gaming table, you know, just 2x4 legs, etc.”  I told him the last time there was syp in my shop was when they put the rafters in place. He thanked me for the use of my saw and went home. 

Yep, that is a pretty typical response.  I have lots of people who see my shop and ask if I will build them a piece of furniture, I tell them the cost of the hardwood (don’t build anything out of softwood) and they usually walk away.  Good thing I do this as a hobby and not a living!  My favorite was people seeing the Maloof rocker I built and ask if I would make them one, I tell them sure, go look online at the price and come back and tell me if they still want one, so far no takers!  I love watching their response.

• Like 1

I often tell friends that most of the time I can't afford my own work. Even with free (leftover) materials the overhead and lost income can make a big personal project difficult to justify . After a profitable project if I have a gap in my schedule I might start a personal job  then get halfway through it and have to put it aside to get back to earning a living.

• Like 1