What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I remember when I was a kid in Utah trying to keep the driveway clear for my dad so he could get in when he got home from work.  It wasn't super deep but when you are a little kid everything seem more massive.  I am sure I don't miss shoveling snow, but I do miss the snow.

5 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Happy Bday Chesnut. Maybe next time just tell your friends to bring snow shoes (says the Californian who is "too hot" when its >75F)

Too hot is over 75 ... I won't judge you for disliking some of the weather you get there for being too hot.

Beginning of the the year I'm like.

08c8a160dcb2d5eda579e75d0507054c.jpg.cab7c4570685622d36a939b7899fbc88.jpg

End of the year snows are more like this.

28cb2e.jpg.191470ebf9c6742169659c9568ca35ec.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Drew where in the cities are you at? Flying back from MI in the morning and hoping we didn’t get that much in Zimmerman 

Right by eagle lake, my friend who was visiting his parents in Elk River didn't get as much as us but last i spoke to him was around noon yesterday. Most of the snow we got we between noon and 7pm.

Roads are fine if you have to drive from the airport but your driveway is probably going to be fun. I went for a drive around 5pm and there were people in suv's stuck in the middle of the road. I wanted to help but i knew if i stopped i'd just end up joining them.

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

Right by eagle lake, my friend who was visiting his parents in Elk River didn't get as much as us but last i spoke to him was around noon yesterday. Most of the snow we got we between noon and 7pm.

Roads are fine if you have to drive from the airport but your driveway is probably going to be fun. I went for a drive around 5pm and there were people in suv's stuck in the middle of the road. I wanted to help but i knew if i stopped i'd just end up joining them.

Good to know thanks for the heads up! 

Replaced a window.

Ugly old one.
62d9f4f96860105ad04120dee78bb2b5.jpeg

New one in the hole and flashed. Had to do a bunch of reframing.
4b38b8c1ae0015033917d1895717623e.jpeg

Outside trimmed out. Will paint in a few weeks when it gets warmer.
d52090a804036601321b2156cd923d95.jpeg

Interior of the bathroom. Had to do a ton of shimming to get it parallel to the wall next to it as our house is very not square. Only a bit of wall tearing removing the old one. I cut all around it first but not well enough for all of it.
f1aaa7311923862b3970570cc1e0a68d.jpeg

Now dinner.
8377698fef8d1ddbc60e9d32c7c0d3dd.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Drew where in the cities are you at? Flying back from MI in the morning and hoping we didn’t get that much in Zimmerman 

Hope your flight works out... because of all the cancellations over the weekend the flight schedules have gotten all messed up.

Just be glad you weren't coming home from Mexico on a sun country flight...

http://www.startribune.com/sun-country-passengers-abandoned-in-mexico-due-to-snow/479814983/

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Well with the snow i got some good shop time. I churned out 11 picture frames Sunday. 9 cherry 2 birch. It's interesting how similar cherry and birch look with out finish. Meant to make them all out of cherry.

5ad4a55fd0ac0_5756082782208776853Faccount_id3D1.thumb.jpg.f488b3016ffbe9ed554c38aea9c43193.jpg

That's awesome. Nice work.

Reminds me I need to get back in the shop and get things prepared for some picture frames.

7 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Hope your flight works out... because of all the cancellations over the weekend the flight schedules have gotten all messed up.

Just be glad you weren't coming home from Mexico on a sun country flight...

http://www.startribune.com/sun-country-passengers-abandoned-in-mexico-due-to-snow/479814983/

:o I decided not to risk it since I need to be on a flight to the Bahamas late tomorrow evening, I rented a car and drove home today. Smooth sailing for me but there were still 8 semis and 2 cars in the ditch when I came through WI.

Did some plumbing in the kitchen. Previous homeowner was a patchwork repair individual...

Before:PHOTO_20180331_162306.thumb.jpg.56238fd77658d72584ffaf4f400ef2e5.jpg

Bendy pipe on sink drain, slip joint into slip joint into slip joint into waste pipe. No adhesive of any sort used on the slip joints... and at about a 1" rise over a 12" run... Note the electrical wire behind the waste line that I hadn't initially seen upon first inspection wrapped with blue tape... And it was still a live circuit.

PHOTO_20180416_212839.thumb.jpg.c3399709686afbb57511c1472e8f8be0.jpgPHOTO_20180416_212832.thumb.jpg.53da246529e86a01e7298e02e518b421.jpg

After: Installed a new faucet, ran new water lines, replaced the shutoff valves, plumbed it properly, took that electrical wire and put an outlet on it into a box and figured, what the hell, there's electrical, might as well put in a garbage disposal. Only thing left to do is replace the dishwasher drain hose and raise it up so there is an air loop to prevent water from the sink and disposal from getting into the dishwasher.

That was fun filled busy Monday night. And my wife came to the conclusion that I could never have a career as a plumber as I don't readily fit into tight spaces... (6'3" 250lbs) Although it amused her to no end seeing me crammed under the sink. ^_^

There were 2x 6" extensions without the nuts or gaskets. And by adhesive I mean solvent.

There were 2 of these connected to each other, without the gasket and nut to compress them together.

*Edit for clarification* The threaded part was hack sawed off to make a simple loose fitting female connection.

Edited by Catco
Clarification

It disheartens me to say the previous homeowner was an Air Force veteran like myself, however he was not a handy or resourceful individual.

5 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

Just for clarification, you mean compression fittings that were incomplete? I am not sure solvent would even be a good idea as that is a chem weld and those tail pipes are thin wall. 

You say compression, I say slip joint. Long and short is the nut, gasket, and threaded portions were cut off so the male side just slipped into the female with neither any compression force nor mechanical seal. I didn't use any solvent as everything from the sink to the waste line went straight into the trash.

7 hours ago, Catco said:

It disheartens me to say the previous homeowner was an Air Force veteran like myself, however he was not a handy or resourceful individual.

You say compression, I say slip joint. Long and short is the nut, gasket, and threaded portions were cut off so the male side just slipped into the female with neither any compression force nor mechanical seal. I didn't use any solvent as everything from the sink to the waste line went straight into the trash.

I would say he was very resourceful