What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I had to take my Mother to get a new washing machine today.   She wanted to go get one today, after Church, so I wouldn't miss any working time.

The old one started leaking from the bottom somewhere.  Pam went over to help her, and found her with towels getting the water up off the laundry room floor.  My Mom's birthday is in three weeks.  She'll be 102.

The old washer was a Maytag, bought in 1980.  Mama said she thought she got her money's worth out of that one.

Having an appliance hand truck made it fairly easy.  The old one probably weighed 200 pounds.   The new one, maybe 45.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cheeset202 said:

Yep, that is a pretty typical response.  I have lots of people who see my shop and ask if I will build them a piece of furniture, I tell them the cost of the hardwood (don’t build anything out of softwood) and they usually walk away.  Good thing I do this as a hobby and not a living!  My favorite was people seeing the Maloof rocker I built and ask if I would make them one, I tell them sure, go look online at the price and come back and tell me if they still want one, so far no takers!  I love watching their response.

I've gotten that a few times already with my incomplete morris chairs. I mentioned how much i plan to spend on upholstery and their eyes usually go wide. It's a shame our society doesn't appreciate quality furniture like they used to. Everyone loves talking about the antiques they have in their family but are never willing to start the tradition them selves.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I guess I missed it, how much are leather cushions going to cost ? 2 chairs & 2 footstools right ?

X2 I have no idea what something like that would cost from a labor perspective. The complexity is pretty low for this project but like everything quality materials can add up quick.

5 hours ago, I B said:

Today I assembled(test fit) my first frame and panel dealie. I need to move the grooves down about 1/8 more on each side but other than that, it worked. The legs are fatties right now but they'll be tapered into sexiness soon.

MNVUVtL.jpg

Leave room for expansion.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I guess I missed it, how much are leather cushions going to cost ? 2 chairs & 2 footstools right ?

I have a ball park guess but I'll find out for sue soon. I'm going to start calling places soon. Some one else that had chairs on here had their cost around 2k with genuine leather.

Leather prices vary a Lot.   Here, if we get something upholstered with leather, you have to buy a whole hide to do anything, and if something takes a little over one hide, you have to buy two.   I'm sure it would be different somewhere that keeps different colored hides in stock, but nowhere around here does.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Some one else that had chairs on here had their cost around 2k with genuine leather.

I remember this and if I am not mistaking, there was something specific about the leather that he chose that ran the price up some.

On 3/25/2018 at 2:30 PM, I B said:

Today I assembled(test fit) my first frame and panel dealie. I need to move the grooves down about 1/8 more on each side but other than that, it worked. The legs are fatties right now but they'll be tapered into sexiness soon.

MNVUVtL.jpg

Damn nice job Ice. Wouldn’t trimming the top rails 1/8” be easier than the setup for the grooves

On 3/25/2018 at 7:51 PM, pkinneb said:

There are definitely some good cooks in the group! I've seen quite a few things I need to try

I agree. A new section on here with recipes would be nice. Let these yahoos share their secrets! 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2018 at 9:19 PM, lewisc said:

Could you share your full recipe?

On 3/22/2018 at 9:58 PM, Klappco said:

Me too.

Pretty simple and lazy recipe.  I use store bought corned beef, I don't make my own.  For the rub, for 10 pounds of meat - 

9 Tablespoons coarse ground black pepper 
1 Tablespoon paprika (the original recipe called for 3 table spoons, but I hated it, to over powering)
3 Tablespoon light brown sugar
6 teaspoons coarse ground coriander seeds
3 teaspoon granulated garlic powder

Remove the corned beef from the package and rinse any spices off under cool water and pat dry and apply the rub.

I get the smoker to 250 and then but the corned beef on.  I use an offset wood burner so every hour I flip the corned beef/soon to be pastrami and for end and switch the pieces around on the grill to keep things even.

When it hits an internal temperature on 165 I wrap it in foil and put it back on until it gets to 180 -185.  Again the original recipe said 195 but I didn't care for it, it just seemed to dry for my liking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Chet said:

Pretty simple and lazy recipe.  I use store bought corned beef, I don't make my own.  For the rub, for 10 pounds of meat - 

9 Tablespoons coarse ground black pepper 
1 Tablespoon paprika (the original recipe called for 3 table spoons, but I hated it, to over powering)
3 Tablespoon light brown sugar
6 teaspoons coarse ground coriander seeds
3 teaspoon granulated garlic powder

Remove the corned beef from the package and rinse any spices off under cool water and pat dry and apply the rub.

I get the smoker to 250 and then but the corned beef on.  I use an offset wood burner so every hour I flip the corned beef/soon to be pastrami and for end and switch the pieces around on the grill to keep things even.

When it hits an internal temperature on 165 I wrap it in foil and put it back on until it gets to 180 -185.  Again the original recipe said 195 but I didn't care for it, it just seemed to dry for my liking.

I will PM you my address so you can send me a slab of pastrami.  I will then have it mouth and belly certified! :D

Klappco I will also offer you the same deal for bacon.