What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I get jealous of you Americans. You’ve got access to great timber. We’ve got nice stuff but it seems so much harder to work with. 

I was asked to make this the other day from one found online. I found some walnut and maple and went to it. The new smoothing plane made quick work of drum sander marks. 

It will be engraved and then come back to me for finishing. 

C9C81095-FCE1-4F1D-8101-44C0574AD57C.jpeg

Nice looking board !  Most of our finest walnut logs get snapped up and exported to Asia & Europe for veneer. Decent walnut here has gotten quite pricey. Or if it's affordable the amount of knots & sapwood limit what you can build. What does walnut go for "down under " ?

I wonder how hard it would be to make a " barcode " cutting board ?  

I bought 25mm x 150mm rough sawn walnut for about $22 per lineal metre. I’m not sure what that works out to in board feet. 

Probaly a bit on the expensive side but not that bad compared to some our premium timbers. It’s not a timber I’ll work with much. I’ve been trying to go with Australian timbers for most things. Walnut and Cherry are a delicacy for me.  When I attempt a Maloof Rocker, I’ll be going with walnut. 

Unfortunately, timber is heavy and big. Not easy to ship around the world for the average woodworker. 

2 hours ago, SawDustB said:

I finally took the snow tires of the cars. Not exactly what I wanted to head out to the garage to do - looking at my book case project sitting there waiting to be glued up was kind of depressing.

I didn’t know there were special “snow tires”? I thought All Terrain Tires pretty much covered everything. D you take the tires off the wheels or do you have two sets of wheels? 

3 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I didn’t know there were special “snow tires”? I thought All Terrain Tires pretty much covered everything. D you take the tires off the wheels or do you have two sets of wheels? 

Around here, it's pretty much required (not legally, but practically). I've got all season tires I use from April to November, but they don't grip as well as you approach freezing and below. We get a lot of freezing rain and ice through the winter, so you'll get stuck without them.

I have a second set of rims for each car that I leave the tires mounted on so I can swap them myself. I bought a decent floor jack, compressor and impact wrench a few years ago and they've paid for themselves. It's not too bad, I can have both cars done in just over an hour.

• Like 1

The last time I remember having snow tires on anything was on a 1966 Cadillac Fleetwood that belonged to my Dad.  It was  one of those with about 4 feet of space in front of the back seat.  I have no memory of why he had snow tires on it. 

This was about 40 years ago, when we had, I believe, the most amount of snow ever.  My best friend needed to fly back to Wisconsin where his Wife was in labor.  I took him to the Richmond airport on that Cadillac because snow was predicted.  His Father rode with me.  On the way there, I apologized to the Dad for the tires being so loud.  He said, "They sound good back there today."

It started snowing as we approached Richmond, an hour and a half away.  On our way back to me dropping off his Dad, we came down I85.  When we turned off onto the Virginia back roads, no one else had been on the roads probably since it first started snowing.  I could only tell where the road was by the indentions in the snow where the ditches were.  The front bumper was pushing the top of the snow, and by the time we had gone the 20 miles to his house, the car was leaving a wake behind it.   It never slipped the first time.

Lots of miscellaneous stuff done today. Extended our flag pole holder so the flag won’t hang up on the roof any more. Bought a bunch of various items at HD (trim paint for bathroom, lawn fertilizer, faucet repair parts, extra charcoal).

Then time to make dinner.

Thick cut pork chops seasoned with Naturiffic Q-Salt and brined with Oakridge Game Changer Brine. Grilled over lump charcoal and hickory chunks.

Ready to go.
b921ec2ddc4b5f0136fd801b05cea897.jpeg

Just off the grill!
5f648b112a8775586f7f14aa3bf4d46f.jpeg

Plated with a baked Larry. Grilled tortillas seasoned with olive oil and Q-Salt.
f5fe11e95a960cb87b2ebe9fe25c3960.jpeg

That's not my leg.

I used that line with a lady once.
  • Haha 1

Got great news today from my tax accountant, long story short IRS audited my 2016 return and said I owe them another $17k, accountant called today and told me they now owe me $14.00, go figure.  I told her to ask for interest and assign a penalty like they did to me!  I won’t press my luck!

• Like 1