What did you do today?


new2woodwrk

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

PoshHSDAAwinsmall.thumb.jpg.a671392fa5af55ac6402502e3bd383a2.jpgThis 12-1/2 pound boy is no Great Dane, but his Stud Fee is $2500, and his handler is fun to have around too.  Picture is from a show that he had just won.

Pictures were already in the Gallery here.poshdesk.thumb.jpg.6a1c0059eb75998ee5495ce5146ad426.jpg

Very time Tom. Wasn't aware that you showed.  My up and coming stud is about to start majors. Very excited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't show.  My Wife does.  She has finished 19 (maybe more) Champions, over the 20 years she's been breeding, but has backed off showing the past few years.  It's gotten so political in our breed that if you don't use a professional handler, it's almost impossible to finish a dog regardless of how good it is.

One of our younger stud dogs got three BOB's, three Group 1's, a Reserve Best in Show, and a BIS in one weekend at a UKC show, but they don't allow pro handlers, so it's all about the dog.

Pam taught AKC Judges Education the first seven years after Havanese started showing under AKC, so she knows as good, or better most of the time, what she has than the Judges do.  Most of the judges still know her, but the pro's still get the nod.  We have so many Champions in our lines that it doesn't matter if our dogs are shown now or not.  We have a long waiting list for puppies, and prefer Best in House to Best in Show, so we don't really look for show homes.

We have produced 8 generations now of our lines.  Pam has been considered one of the top breeders for years now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I don't show.  My Wife does.  She has finished 19 (maybe more) Champions, over the 20 years she's been breeding, but has backed off showing the past few years.  It's gotten so political in our breed that if you don't use a professional handler, it's almost impossible to finish a dog regardless of how good it is.

One of our younger stud dogs got three BOB's, three Group 1's, a Reserve Best in Show, and a BIS in one weekend at a UKC show, but they don't allow pro handlers, so it's all about the dog.

Pam taught AKC Judges Education the first seven years after Havanese started showing under AKC, so she knows as good, or better most of the time, what she has than the Judges do.  Most of the judges still know her, but the pro's still get the nod.  We have so many Champions in our lines that it doesn't matter if our dogs are shown now or not.  We have a long waiting list for puppies, and prefer Best in House to Best in Show, so we don't really look for show homes.

We have produced 8 generations now of our lines.  Pam has been considered one of the top breeders for years now.

Very cool Tom. Our stories kind of overlap. I was raised in a house breeding and showing miniature Dachshunds. Whelped my first litter around 7. When I moved out at 17, I took two females that were "mine" and built my breeding program around them. My dad and I run a joint kennel and we are on the 8th gen of our lines.

About 10 years ago, we got out of the show scene completely. The politics were nasty and honestly, it stopped being fun any more. My wife runs the business side of the breeding and she won't even sell with full rights to breeders and show kennels any more. It's just too big of a hastle. Our goal is to produce BIS quality pups, for pet only homes.  I pushed back initially because I likes seeing my lines in other people's pedigrees but I'll admit, not dealing with breeders and more is REALLY nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, we only give full registration to old breeders like us, that we have known for a long time, and know for sure that their goals are the same as ours.  You will never see a Starborn dog in any puppy mill pedigree.

The show scene changed completely after the financial collapse in 2008. The numbers of people showing fell way off, and pro handlers were having a hard time making a living.  Since all judges came up as pro handlers, they had to start favoring each other.

  Pam will finish our stud dogs, but doesn't bother for the girls any more.   We don't advertise at all, and still turn away inquiries every day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tom King said:

 

  Pam will finish our stud dogs, but doesn't bother for the girls any more.   We don't advertise at all, and still turn away inquiries every day.

We only finish our boys too. With the exception of this last fall when I had 4 big litters drop with a week of each other, we haven't advertised in years. Within the last 5 years or so, most of our pups are going back to owners of our pups from many years back replacing dogs that have passed.  That's always the highest compliment to us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hauled 40 + pieces of heavy wet treated lumber home to fix up my deck and fence. Got to stay ahead of the new puppy before he starts looking for escape routes.  Constant trips across the deck made me realize that 40 years is pushing it and by the time I replace the bad ones I might as well replace them all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Good day today, finally back in the shop after trying to cut off the end of my thumb with a paring chisel, 10 stitches later and on the mend pretty good, man that Veritas MK2 can really put an edge on a chisel:blink:

Lets be careful out there. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Good day today, finally back in the shop after trying to cut off the end of my thumb with a paring chisel, 10 stitches later and on the mend pretty good, man that Veritas MK2 can really put an edge on a chisel:blink:

Yikes!  heal quickly!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry you got hurt!!!  Any time I feel myself pushing too hard, and feel the urge to get in a hurry, I put the tools down, and go home.  It's hard to downshift when you get to that point, and the best way for me to deal with it is just to walk away.

edited to stay on topic:   The only thing remotely unusual that I did today was to curry a horse to get some hair for a lime plaster repair I have coming up.  I was going to order some, if I could find some already clean, but the only place google could find any was across an ocean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spent my afternoon making a base plate for a router - something I could get from Rockler for $20 or so.  I paid $20 for the material, $10 for a countersink tool of the appropriate size (I spend an hour at two places to find it), then I spend some time practicing to precisely locate the holes, and finally some time actually making the part.

This is all before I actually begin making the router sled that the part is for.  I'm pretty slow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was really out of desperation.   We have horses a few steps from the house, but I would have rather bought it than take the time to wash it.   We've had a week of unusually warm weather.  Bradford pears are blooming, and the pastures are already turning green, so the horses are ready to start shedding anyway.  The funny thing is that I will be able to brag that I not only do lime plastering, to match the 200 year old plaster, but I'm matching the color of horse hair too!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

I spent my afternoon making a base plate for a router - something I could get from Rockler for $20 or so.  I paid $20 for the material, $10 for a countersink tool of the appropriate size (I spend an hour at two places to find it), then I spend some time practicing to precisely locate the holes, and finally some time actually making the part.

This is all before I actually begin making the router sled that the part is for.  I'm pretty slow.

As many as I've made, I don't think I've ever hit all the holes exactly right without having to wallow out at least one to get all the screws below the surface.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've made plenty of router baseplates, some were made long before they were readily available. Despite several different methods to do it accurately I've had to wallow out a hole or 2 even 3 on occasion. They may not be beautiful but they work. Phenolic and acrylic seem to work well for me. Polycarbonate isn't as cooperative. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 62 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

    31.3k
    Total Topics
    422.8k
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    23,816
    Total Members
    3,644
    Most Online
    kocodi2086
    Newest Member
    kocodi2086
    Joined