What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

36 minutes ago, Catco said:

Again i feel as though I am the minority that I do not like older cars. I appreciate and respect them for what they do and how they look, but they don't get my motor revving. (Sorry, bad pun.) I love newer cars, with the sharp angles, brash curves, and all the technology they can cram in them. My personal taste lies with Italian cars. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, and Alfa Romeo. Yes, Alfa Romeo.

Personally I love this little car:

I saw some guy cruising around in Bismarck ND of all places in a a 4C, I heard it my had snapped around and it had my full attention. I'll agree with you up the the technology point. I want the tech in materials science, design, areo, but they can take their computers and shove them up their @$$#. ECM is the only computer i want in a car. If you need more than one make sure that the ECM is a standalone module and isn't tied to anythine else. Traction control, ABS, stability control can take a hike.

My friend has a 2016 Subaru STI and with 40,000 miles he has to replace his brake pads already because Subaru decided that they want to pulse the brakes on cornering to give the car a more stable feel around corners .... meanwhile my 2013 WRX probably won't need brake pads until 160k miles.

I miss my '66 Corvette.  Comfortable even on a long ride (like a Catnapper recliner) and the best brakes of any car I have owned or driven.  Recently, I bought a Ford Ecosport and am going to MIT to learn how to use all the electronic crap on it.  Each electronic gizmo is something else to go wrong and the cost of repair is not cheap.  A fellow on another forum misplaced his key fob.  $400 for a replacement?  A key costs $5?  This is progress?

BTW, have you noticed that hundreds of dollars are spent on making a safer car (if there is such a thing) and not one penny is spent on making a safe driver? Know whut I mean, Vern?

• Like 1

Today, I started working on a display of a Cypress shingle fantail hip section in a museum house.   I had carefully taken up six rows of a fantail, and marked on the back of each shingle which row, and position it held.  We pulled out some of the woefully inadequate bracing (that we replaced a couple of years ago) from up in the attic to make the roof framing from for the display.   I sorted out the different rows, while my helper cleaned up the old framing timbers this afternoon.

We'll probably build it tomorrow.   This served as the first, and only roof on this house for 132 years, and no signs of it leaking anywhere.

You can see one of my new, reproduction such roof in the background of the second picture.  There's a big one on the house.

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichardA said:

That walnut has some great color in it.

Thanks. It’s the off cut from the slab that I’m making the gaming table from. It’s destined to became the top of a bedroom end table. Unfortunately it started out at 2.25” and needs to get down to 3/4”. At least now I can see the grain and cut off the part that won’t be used, so less plowing out on future cuts. 

• Like 1

Worked 11 hours at my job than came home to this.

0529182115_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.a484a8041d33d777f5496637ebf55eb4.jpeg

And put it back to this.

0602182140_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.950d39f37ace4ee7e3de50863115101a.jpeg

I hate this work. I'll be saving for something new. Unless ford pulls something unexpected and brings back the manual transmission ranger in 2019 it'll be a GMC canyon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I discovered a part of woodworking, in addition to sanding that ain’t no fun, especially with a 3/4” bit.

I concur; I really haven't figure out slabs yet.  On top of what else they do, they bend under the pressure of the router.

[edit: and also from the pressure of clamps intended to stabilize them.]

I’m really amazed at this piece and other slabs that were cut from this tree. I attribute it to the guy that milled it and the three years it was stickered, and to “Mother Nature” ! It’s been an absolute pleasure to work with. 

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Got more nads than me bud. Many years ago,  refer to Google for points, condenser and distributor/cap, I could do it. It would be an undertaking today. I ‘d have to refer to Google to find the plugs. 

I don't know if i'd say that, i'm just going to blame being stubborn and cheap.

If you do more slab flattening you should get the bigger bit, it makes it a lot better. It really does stink seeing how much you loose in thickness on some of those boards. To me it seems the nicest ones always end up loosing the most.

I hate mechanic work too, but I save more per day doing it myself, than paying someone else to do it, compared to what I normally make in a day's work, and don't worry about it once it's all back together.  For example, putting fuel injectors in my truck took a day to tear it down, and another day to get it back together.  The price difference was over 3,000 dollars, so that was 1,500 per day for my time.  Of course, there was no money coming in, but it would have taken me more than two days to cover the cost, and that's before even figuring in net, after taxes.

Why did you have the head off the engine?  At least that one doesn't look so terribly complicated, like the diesel I have that completely fills up the engine compartment.  When I need to go into the engine, I'm just going to get a replacement, rebuilt one.

34 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I hate mechanic work too, but I save more per day doing it myself, than paying someone else to do it, compared to what I normally make in a day's work, and don't worry about it once it's all back together.  For example, putting fuel injectors in my truck took a day to tear it down, and another day to get it back together.  The price difference was over 3,000 dollars, so that was 1,500 per day for my time.  Of course, there was no money coming in, but it would have taken me more than two days to cover the cost, and that's before even figuring in net, after taxes.

Why did you have the head off the engine?  At least that one doesn't look so terribly complicated, like the diesel I have that completely fills up the engine compartment.  When I need to go into the engine, I'm just going to get a replacement, rebuilt one.

I generally like mechanic work when it's on my own schedule. I like suspension stuff and drive-line work because it donesn't generally fail on a moments notice, so i can get to it on my own schedule. Anything inside the engine block/head I've begun to loathe. I think my saying for the week is "I *@^# hate this @#*@"

I really needed this last week to get a roof on my shed beings that the ply wood has gotten at least 2-3" of rain on it and i don't know how much more it can take.

I started seeing the temp spike, checked the radiator and it was half empty and there was oil and black in the coolant so i figured it was head gasket. The troubling part is there was no smoking gun when i got the head off and the bad gasket out. Normally you can see where it burned across but i couldn't find it..... I put a new head gasket in and new head studs $70 in parts but 10 hours of labor at a shop so probably $1,200

• Like 1

Me also. Hopefully the head isn't warped. I dislike working on something that I have to rush to get it done in one day. Always seems like that is when things go hard. Be nice to have another garage just for this reason and to do wielding/painting exc.  

The head wasn't warped thankfully. I did check. Having all these nice actuate strait edges masks it easy. I reused torque to yield bolts the last time i had it apart. I didn't know any better. I just hope that's what it was. I probably won't keep it long enough to find out.

• Like 1