What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Nice, and memorable haul!!!!

I like eating fish, and I like catching fish.  Unfortunately, my luck required way too much time fishing to ever get to the point of catching fish, so I gave up a long time ago.

Speaking of Justify, I was looking at his 6 generation pedigree yesterday.  Almost every horse on his 6th generation line goes back to Sir Archie.  Sir Archie, one of the Thoroughbred Foundation Sires,  ran his first race for money on the Tucker Paths, almost a couple of hundred years ago, which is the quarter mile straight stretch coming into our place that was the Tucker Plantation back then.   Races back then were straight 1/4 miles, a long time before they ever starting racing around ovals.

• Like 1

Nice, Tom.

Belmont touched my history; if you google earth the park you can find a school grounds across the road to the east (Floral Park HS.)  I attended there in 7th grade and remember looking out the window (A lot) at the park.  The park was actually inactive during the year that I was there.

Well it with sadness i have to send my ranger to the crusher. I finally got all the bubbles out of the coolant. I went to pickup the plywood for the roof of the shed and on the way back i saw the temp gauge spike again. Checked the oil and there was coolant in it.

My neighbor that restores old jags is an Internal Combustion Engineer and came to the conclusion that the head or block is cracked and there isn't much i can do except replace it....

Tomorrow I'll be ordering a 2019 Canyon, and i'm kind of sad about it.

3 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Yep, sometimes you have to sell them by the pound at the scrap yard. The Canyon looks like a great truck, I’ve got a 2015 Colorado with no problems so far. 

There are a lot of good things said about the pickup. Also that there aren't many on the used market and the ones that are for sale fetch a high price.

Sorry for your loss Drew. No sense putting good money after bad like I did. We decided my wife needed a new vehicle in Dec. of last year, but “the right color combo” were not to be had then.  She went to visit her relatives in Louisiana in Feb. and the a/c went out while there and cost $1,750 to repair. Fast forward and still not the right colors and 4 weeks ago, a new $750 radiator was required. Then two weeks later a $250 mass air sensor. Friday I located the right colors out of town and a deal was made. They gave us 3k for her trade in and I had to beg for that;). Happy Wife = , well you get the idea. Congrats on the Canyon. 

I know that feeling. My Ute blew a head gasket a few years ago. It was getting on in age. The body was not looking good, A/C needed fixing and the list went on. 

I bought a Toyota Hilux ( which I think is similar to the Tacoma). The only thing I regret is not getting a 4WD model. That’ll be the next one. 

Another 16 KM run if Fish Creek Park with #1 daughter. Raining but oh, so gorgeous. Then tonight my wife, daughter, & daughter's friend went to a Mother Mother (Canadian band that the rest of the world hasn't discovered yet) concert. It was in a club that serves alcohol, so no minors allowed. My daughter got carded - she'll be 40 this September. I almost told the guy that she's old enough to be his mom.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Remember when, you could change your own spark plugs, now you can’t even find the darn things. 

Remeber shen the oil filter was a job to even get to and then the oil would run down your arm.  Just picked up a Subaru Forester and was amazed to see the oil filter sitting right on top of the engine next to the filler spout.  It was upside down and looked like the oil would run out as soon as you started to unscrew it but I was told that there is a stop valve inside the filter so no oil leaks out.  Someone has been thinking!!!

Sounds like Subaru has made an improvement.   On my Wife's WRX, you had to drop the big plastic aero cover over the bottom of the engine to get to the oil filter.  After doing that the first time, I cut a hole in the big plastic piece, so I could change the filter without bothering with the big cover.   That car now has 240k on it, so my hole didn't hurt anything.

I don't know where the oil filter is on my WRX and i never plan to find out. If i have to put the car on ramps or jack stands to get under it I'm not going to do the work. I've know too many people that have died because vehicles have fallen on them. Too many is anything more than zero.

They charge $60 to do the work for me and the oil is $50 of that charge ... well worth the $10 in labor in my opinion. There is a Dick's sporting goods next door so i usually browse some fishing gear while i wait.

• Like 1

Nowhere near us that can do it.   I'd love to be able to get a full synthetic oil change for 60 bucks. We have a good spot, but it's out in the country.   I don't see how a car can fall when it's on top of the flat part of ramps (four of them), but I still slide jack stands under it.  At least I have a pretty efficient setup for doing this type of work, so I can change the oil in 10 to 15 minutes for l.

I don't know what kind of oil is $50 for five quarts, but I'm sticking with what's worked for me putting high mileage on more than a few vehicles.   Mobile ! full synthetic is 22.88 for a 5 quart jug.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17034372?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=1191&adid=22222222227017594582&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=77517660408&wl4=pla-107413852608&wl5=9009602&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=17034372&wl13=1191&veh=sem

4 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Nowhere near us that can do it.  I'd love to be able to get a synthetic oil change for 60 bucks. We have a good spot, but it's out in the country.   I don't see how a car can fall when it's on top of the flat part of ramps (four of them), but I still slide jack stands under it.  At least I have a pretty efficient setup for doing this type of work.

Yeah me too but for $10 the tiny risk just isn't worth it. The only sucky part is coordinating the time.

I don't know how they make money on oil changes. They must get the oil WAY cheaper than i can. I'm picky with my cars so i refuse to use cheap oil. It just doesn't make sense to cheap out on something that could cause the failure of a $5,000 engine /turbo.

Subaru branded full synthetic, to me it's $10 a quart but I'm sure they get wholesale prices which i'd have a hard time finding.

I know the bearings inside turbos get helped out with a little bit of zinc in the oil. Most of the mass market oils have removed all zinc and phosphorus for environmental reasons but those compounds help keep the zinc plating on the bearings under high temps. When the turbo spins to 100k rpm the oil bearing is quite important.