What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

That's probably what it was.   

30 years ago, I bought a project building, at the county's annual farm equipment auction, that someone had started but just had all the lumber, siding, and roofing on several pallets at the sale.  There are things I would do differently, but couldn't beat the price.  Long story short, I have a 24 x 48 foot building for metal work, and mechanic work. 

It's nice to be able to leave a tractor in there, and work on it when I get the chance, which usually requires several trips of about 40 miles one way, to a tractor dealer for parts.  Those projects aren't done in a hurry, so I can just leave it sitting as long as I need to.

The only woodworking equipment I have in there is the big bandsaw.

• Like 2

On of the things I want to do before winter is build a carport for my Trailer.   Don't have allot of money to spend for this project. Been looking at some YouTube videos and I am thinking of  using gal steel top rail fence post and some steel roofing.  I have not decided if I want to bend or cut and weld the pipe.  I am hoping 18 gauge will work.  Seems to cost about a dollar a ft.  Size needs to be about 16x32 FT and Trailer is 11ft high. 

Worked 11 hours at my job than came home to this.
0529182115_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.a484a8041d33d777f5496637ebf55eb4.jpeg
And put it back to this.
0602182140_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.950d39f37ace4ee7e3de50863115101a.jpeg
I hate this work. I'll be saving for something new. Unless ford pulls something unexpected and brings back the manual transmission ranger in 2019 it'll be a GMC canyon.

Ranger is supposed to be back then. I’m hoping it is so that folks will rush to get them and create a glut of used ones on the local market. Then I can get one.

8 hours ago, Tom King said:

It's nice to be able to leave a tractor in there, and work on it when I get the chance, which usually requires several trips of about 40 miles one way, to a tractor dealer for parts.  Those projects aren't done in a hurry, so I can just leave it sitting as long as I need to.

Apparently it’s even nicer to leave them in the field and not work on them but just replace them. I’ve pheasant hunted in SD for the last 15 or so years. The tractors and combines that were in the field on my first hunt are still there and get new company each year. I guess with the income from the hunts and raising corn, along with government subsidies, there’s no need to repair them. 

Got my report card narratives done. Then met youngest kid and his wife to get the announcement that they are having their first baby! All of the older siblings are very excited. This will be grandchild number eight! Another cousin! Since my parents were only children I never had cousins. They sure have fun!

Then came home and cooked a Rib Roast that I had in the freezer. After Christmas they get really cheap so we bought four and froze them. Thawed it yesterday. Used some oak wine barrel staves that a neighbor gave me for smoke. Really nice taste.

df5cf4c8d04ca03bbb9588fded3ed6ef.jpeg

2ed96bf86bd8eaf9df3ad1f1910016e8.jpeg

Oh. Also got the cover made for my second grade groups’ raccoon stories. They are amazing little writers!

65dc9811b75b240c00b718d8e29a5044.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Klappco said:

Ranger is supposed to be back then. I’m hoping it is so that folks will rush to get them and create a glut of used ones on the local market. Then I can get one.

I hope so for those that are looking for rangers.  Unless they bring out a manual transmission i won't be much interested. Currently toyota has the best mid sized pickup with the TRD off road one offered in a 6spd manual, it's too bad i just don't like toyota's interiors. That and their fuel mileage is awful for how little power their engines make.

2 minutes ago, Klappco said:

Then came home and cooked a Rib Roast that I had in the freezer. After Christmas they get really cheap so we bought four and froze them. Thawed it yesterday. Used some oak wine barrel staves that a neighbor gave me for smoke. Really nice taste.

That is an intersting thing to use for smoke i'd love to try that. Do you know where they got that wood?

45 minutes ago, Klappco said:

Got my report card narratives done. Then met youngest kid and his wife to get the announcement that they are having their first baby! All of the older siblings are very excited. This will be grandchild number eight! Another cousin! Since my parents were only children I never had cousins. They sure have fun!

df5cf4c8d04ca03bbb9588fded3ed6ef.jpeg

2ed96bf86bd8eaf9df3ad1f1910016e8.jpeg,

Probably the best looking piece of meat that you’ve posted! 

That is an intersting thing to use for smoke i'd love to try that. Do you know where they got that wood?

He used to own a wine store and they had barrels they used for decor. Still has a few of the pieces of those. I gave him some ribs the other day and he laid these on me. He has done that before.

On 6/2/2018 at 7:40 PM, K Cooper said:

I discovered a part of woodworking, in addition to sanding that ain’t no fun, especially with a 3/4” bit.

27DDF036-CB70-4889-9A15-2B1070669BB5.thumb.jpeg.8df17aa9c991328059c5b7afff90ea88.jpeg

Three corners measured 1 23/28 “ and the other measured 1 19/28. I’m sold on the concept. 

• Like 1

I got my pickup to start last night around 8:45, it was slightly bittersweet. I don't feel comfortable driving it quite yet. I don't trust my mechanic work to jump on the highway with it right away. I'm going to have to though because i need to buy the plywood for the roof of my shed tomorrow probably. I need to get the roof on that thing, it's raining like every other day.

58 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Got confused.  Do you mean it's flat enough?  

Yeah, I measured the thickness of the slab at all four conners after planing both sides using the router sled. I was wondering how I got the   28th fraction and now I see. Just didn’t see the /128 th. And yeah, it is from HF:D.

0928858F-F6F1-4DF3-9A57-C4B141B66F97.thumb.jpeg.d9d159276efb250748c0ffde2ecd961a.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Yeah, I measured the thickness of the slab at all four conners after planing both sides using the router sled. I was wondering how I got the   28th fraction and now I see. Just didn’t see the /128 th. And yeah, it is from HF:D.

0928858F-F6F1-4DF3-9A57-C4B141B66F97.thumb.jpeg.d9d159276efb250748c0ffde2ecd961a.jpeg

Oh even better you were off by 100 not just 4 :lol:. I'd say your pretty darn flat if your difference is 1/32"

• Haha 1