Walnut Dining Table

wnaziri

That is a lovely table, Wade! I'm interested in the shellac finish. First, I've never heard of "pre-cat" shellac. Second, many think shellac isn't durable enough for a dining table, at least compared to modern urathane finishes. Is this pre-cat stuff supposed to be more resistant to liquid spills? I have to say shellac makes one of the prettiest finishes ever.

• Thanks 1

Your table turned out great !  

I looked over Shellac Finishes website. I see a post cat that cures hard enough to buff in a few days. Is the other shellac based finish considered the pre cat ? They claim to have added other resins to make the shellac waterproof and tougher. Looks like luthiers are a focus of their products. I thought the prices were incredible until I noticed the $45 can was a quart for the post cat version.

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'm interested in the shellac finish. First, I've never heard of "pre-cat" shellac. Second, many think shellac isn't durable enough for a dining table, at least compared to modern urathane finishes. Is this pre-cat stuff supposed to be more resistant to liquid spills? I have to say shellac makes one of the prettiest finishes ever.

I never thought of shellac as a finish for dining table but I am a big fan of shellac in general.  I have used Royalac sold by Shellacfinishes.com and really liked it.  The site is run by Vijay who is very knowledgeable.  He has written for FWW on the virtues of merits of shellac.  He recently added the Pre-Cat Shellac to his product line. 

As I understand it, it is an admixture of shellac and other "resins", which I think means that he has added some form of urethane.  When you buy the Pre-Cat Shellac, it arrives as a quart of the finish and a bottle of hardner.  The data sheet you tells that the finish is cured in about 5 days.  

On the plus side, the finish is absolutely clear, like most good shellacs.  It is easy to apply with spray system.  It is shiny but I knocked it down with 0000 steel wool.  

On the downside, the stuff is not cheap but then again, my table would not be cheap if I were to buy it or have it built.  So, for me, the price id relative.  In the overall scheme of things, spending $45 to finish the piece seems like a bargain in retrospect given the result it yielded.

On the unknown side, the marketing of the product is telling me that it is durable and suitable for the intended use as kitchen table but time will tell.  Worse case scenario: it sucks and gets destroyed after one month of use.  Well, I will take the top off and take it to the shop, sand it down and give it a different finish.  I own four sanders!!!

9 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I looked over Shellac Finishes website. I see a post cat that cures hard enough to buff in a few days. Is the other shellac based finish considered the pre cat ? They claim to have added other resins to make the shellac waterproof and tougher. Looks like luthiers are a focus of their products. I thought the prices were incredible until I noticed the $45 can was a quart for the post cat version.

The other shellacs sold by Vijay are not considered pre-cat.  I have used most of the other products sold by him and none of them come with hardner.

• Like 2

If you add the hardner it is post cat. If the can already has catalyst in it and it has a short shelf life it's pre-cat. That's what confused me. I imagine musical instruments being water & alcohol resistant would be a good thing.  The pre-cat waterbourne I spray is around $65 a gallon. But the look of a shellac finish has a richness especially on walnut, cherry , mahogany  and exotics.

Did you get 12 coats out of one quart ?  

39 minutes ago, Alan G said:

What is the final thickness of the table top? and its other dimensions? Looking to do a table with a similar top but for 8 people.

The top is 62" by 40".

The top started out at 1.1 inches but it I kept milling it to get all the pieces perfectly flat but then I would end up delaying the assembly due to my time limitations.  After several false starts and having to mill to get back to full flat, I ended with a little less than an inch thick.  I guess that is the price one pays for air dried lumber.

Height of the table is 29 inches.

• Like 1

Good info on the shellac that's something i'm going to have to remember.

I haven't sprayed shellac and would like to i'm just a bit hesitant and want some more practice under my belt. I also want to rig up my spray gun with the 3M PPS system before i try it as well. I'm going to do the system eventually any way because i plan to spray some 2 part paints for some auto body work i want to try.