Walnut and Bubinga Buffet

houstonjc

25 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Beautiful!

Love the style, halfway though i was wondering if you had taken inspiration from the same picture i had, but probably not.

Thanks!  I looked at hundreds of buffet pictures before landing on a final design, so it's quite possible we had similar inspirations.

Beautiful piece there. You've paid a lot of attention to detail, especially the arrangement & selection of grain. Like @Tpt life, I generally prefer the door panels to be vertical, but in this case I can see how having all the bubinga on the front running horizontal makes a really nice statement about the wood. I don't know if I'd have had the courage to try that, but I think it works very well here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

Beautiful piece there. You've paid a lot of attention to detail, especially the arrangement & selection of grain. Like @Tpt life, I generally prefer the door panels to be vertical, but in this case I can see how having all the bubinga on the front running horizontal makes a really nice statement about the wood. I don't know if I'd have had the courage to try that, but I think it works very well here.

Thanks for the kind words!  I definitely wanted to have the grain all moving in the same direction in the front to make the piece feel longer and lower than it is.  This would have worked out a bit better if I had not accidentally cut all of my lower rail nortises 2 inches below I intended. 

Doing that forced me to make the casework larger (taller) than intended, and makes the grain orientation look just a bit off.  I tried to address this some by making my stiles a little skinnier and my rails a bit wider to retain some of the originally intended look.  In the end I think it worked out well.