Bmac

Sculptured Maloof Rocker, My Favorite Build

Recommended Posts

Rocker looks great! I would like to see one made out curly walnut and tiger hard maple. I have the wood in 8/4 and 9/4. :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, you absolutely nailed it! Great looking chair. Every piece flows into the next like Mr. Maloof intended. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Coop said, Sam would be proud, well done sir! post some pictures of the other one when done, i would love to see it

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats one excellent looking chair.  And some fine craftsmanship on your part.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bmac said:

Thanks for looking.

Thanks for letting me see.

Have to agree with everyone above.  You have a great eye.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the kind words, I've learned a lot after doing so many sculptured pieces, my first attempt was a far cry from where I am now.

13 hours ago, treeslayer said:

What Coop said, Sam would be proud, well done sir! post some pictures of the other one when done, i would love to see it

I'll try to get some photos of that chair also. Taking my time with that one since it's a Christmas present. I will be posting my next rocker build here from start to finish, hopefully sometime in early winter.

15 hours ago, Spanky said:

Rocker looks great! I would like to see one made out curly walnut and tiger hard maple. I have the wood in 8/4 and 9/4. :)

 

And yes, my next rocker will be made with Rickey's tiger hard maple. He has already delivered it to me and it's waiting patiently in the shop. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does making multiples at the same time save significant time, or is all the work in the shaping, sanding, etc, so it's not a big savings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, bglenden said:

Does making multiples at the same time save significant time, or is all the work in the shaping, sanding, etc, so it's not a big savings?

When doing multiples, cutting the pieces, the dados, routing the joints, fitting the joints, and doing the glue ups, you save a good amt if time.

For the shaping I save some time too since I get into the groove and have the shape I’m shooting for in my mind. Like shaping the arms, it goes much quicker when doing more than one.

But you are correct, doing multiples, you do not really save time when it comes to the sanding

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always enjoy looking at your chair builds! Fantastic work!

What is the comfort level of these chairs? I've sat in many wooden rockers, some are very comfortable some are very uncomfortable. I'm not sure what exactly makes the difference (maybe it is many small things).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JohnG said:

I always enjoy looking at your chair builds! Fantastic work!

What is the comfort level of these chairs? I've sat in many wooden rockers, some are very comfortable some are very uncomfortable. I'm not sure what exactly makes the difference (maybe it is many small things).

With out a doubt, the most comfortable wooden chair I’ve ever sat in. That is not an exaggeration. 

I think the carved/sculptured seat, the backrest angle, and the shape of the back spindles make the chair so comfortable. Maloof got this chair right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JohnG said:

I always enjoy looking at your chair builds! Fantastic work!

What is the comfort level of these chairs? I've sat in many wooden rockers, some are very comfortable some are very uncomfortable. I'm not sure what exactly makes the difference (maybe it is many small things).

I will second Bmac's response..  Probably the most comfortable chair in my house.

The difference is continuing to carve and shape until it's right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting the detail shots. That will help me in a couple weeks when i really dig into the carving aspect. Im probably 40-50% of the way there on my first rocker, and already i envision there will be a second. This is so wildly different from anything else ive ever done, that the second one will automatically be considerably easier and better. 

 

The rear leg joint was a complete PITA for me. I dont know what  happened on my piece, but i couldnt lay the leg flat on a surface without the bottom portion of the leg contacting the same surface before the 6° portion was laying flat on the surface. this made it impossible to use my table saw and dado stack to create the mortise, because the reference would be all jacked up. I had to mock up a router jig that worked pretty well. Somehow one of my joints is a perfectly tight friction fit and the other one is a smidgen loose. So far, the build isnt as complex as it looks. The additional tools and accessories needed have been a little eye opening. I think im in for a grand in random bits and bobs to complete this project. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pwk5017 said:

Thanks for posting the detail shots. That will help me in a couple weeks when i really dig into the carving aspect. Im probably 40-50% of the way there on my first rocker, and already i envision there will be a second. This is so wildly different from anything else ive ever done, that the second one will automatically be considerably easier and better. 

 

The rear leg joint was a complete PITA for me. I dont know what  happened on my piece, but i couldnt lay the leg flat on a surface without the bottom portion of the leg contacting the same surface before the 6° portion was laying flat on the surface. this made it impossible to use my table saw and dado stack to create the mortise, because the reference would be all jacked up. I had to mock up a router jig that worked pretty well. Somehow one of my joints is a perfectly tight friction fit and the other one is a smidgen loose. So far, the build isnt as complex as it looks. The additional tools and accessories needed have been a little eye opening. I think im in for a grand in random bits and bobs to complete this project. 

Agree, it's not as complex as it looks, the leg to seat joint with the right router bits are pretty straight forward. I can't quite envison what went wrong with your back leg, but I can tell you I always get confused when cutting that joint. I use double sided tape on the leg to help hold it against the fence.

To me, the shaping of the spindles is pretty tough, a lot of work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    28204
    Total Topics
    378842
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    21384
    Total Members
    1529
    Most Online
    Rick the Finn
    Newest Member
    Rick the Finn
    Joined