The story of a log, a slab and a table

Bmac

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

To float, or not to float ... that is the question.

Well if by float you mean using figure 8's or slots with hold downs yes, that's the plan with the legs and apron. But I do plan to have the apron up against the bottom of the table top. I won't "float" the top above the rails. 

In the end it won't matter much what I do esthetically, it will be a low table, about 13" off the floor so you won't see much below it. I do want people to notice the legs and how they project from under the table, and since they have a curve I want them to slightly project from the "corners" of the oval table. This will mean a 45 or similar degree angle for the joint surface of the apron(s).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chet said:

It's kind of hard t tell but I am guessing the "feet" end of the legs are under the edge or drip line of the table top.

Exactly, the legs are at the drip line of the table, perfect way to put it.

4 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

@Bmac, I like the curved legs you chose, and the structure works well. You didn't mention using a pedestal, though. Just wondering if you considered that option, and if so, what factored against it?

So the way Chet put it is what I was shooting for, gives the table a lot of stability. It's a coffee table so you don't want it to be tippy.

• Like 1

Beautiful table @Bmac I enjoyed this build you do outstanding work and your workmanship is inspiring! But this build seemed to drag on too long, you could have built a kayak in this length of time:ph34r:. No when you start a project the speed that you work is impressive, can't wait to see what you come up with next. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bmac said:

The wood God created here is the real treasure and I just feel blessed to be part of the process.

Amen brother.

The tables are both pretty cool projects.  

I wish I had more ability to see a project in a piece of wood.  I usually end up the other way around, having a project and trying to find the right piece to match it.

• Thanks 1