What else do you do?

Ronn W

@ treeslayer mentioned hobbies in another post so "Why not?

What other intersts do you have now or have had I the past??  No need to limit the topic to just "hobbies"

In chronological order I have been very involved over the years in:  Recrerational softball (lost my swing and could not hit a thing), long distance bicycling (knees started to hurt), competitive table tennis (rotator cuff went bad), dog agility (dogs got too old),  wood working (a work in progress but it doesn't bother my knees or shoulder),  Maintaining lionel trains that I gave to my grandson - there's always something to fix.

How about you?

• Like 2

I used to do a lot of rock climbing and backpacking including a handful of 13 and 14 thousand foot summits, then like Ronn the knees said they have had it.  I also did winter camping and snow shoeing with my younger daughter, my older daughter and wife don't like it when it drops below 65°.:P   We do a lot of camping and hiking mainly in the spring and fall to avoid the crowds.  Since we both retired we have done a lot of other traveling and taking the train is one of our favorite ways to get there, where ever there may be.  

• Like 1

For many years, I practiced power lifting (not competitively) as therapy for a back injury. Joint issues have reduced that to light weight calesthenics, these days. Dabbled at guitar for a while, really started too late to overcome the reduced dexterity in my hands. Aside from a bit of woodworking, I also write short fiction based on various "adventures" in my life. Nothing published, just for fun and family entertainment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I also write short fiction based on various "adventures" in my life. Nothing published, just for fun and family entertainment.

I have played with the idea of writing a little but really don' t know how to start.  Maybe engineeering brain won't let me wirte anything down until I know where ti is going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronn W said:

Maybe engineeering brain won't let me wirte anything down until I know where ti is going.

No excuse, I have a bad case of engineering brain, myself. Dramatizing little events from your own life isn't too hard, you should try it. Write "scenes" instead of stories, you can find ways to match them up and fill the gaps afterward.

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Exacting but not exciting! Exciting would be to discover the warm foot next to yours in bed is not your other foot! :D

This made me think of a scene from Planes Trains And Automobiles! How about those Bears

• Like 1

In the past I was a computer and video game nerd, then Photography, cars and tinkering has always been something I enjoy as well. I also like to garden and in general just be outside.

@Coop Gardening is a legitimate hobby, you should see the gardens my parents and Grandmother maintain. I hope i get a good tomato crop this year. I should try harder at it. I'm also thinking about not growing bell peppers. It seems like I spend $5 on a plant to get 1 bell which is 3-4x more than the grocery store.

• Like 2

@curlyoak, before my wife retired, one of her supervisors gave her a beautiful orchid plant. She said he had several in his office and showed her pics of their collection at home. Two months after she brought it home, it was a brown stem in a vase. When she wants new plants, I take her to the RIP section at HD for 90% off as they’re gonna be goners anyway! :wacko:

• Haha 2