Covid-19 Vaccine

Coop

My side effects were essentially a day of feeling sicker than with the virus. I'd still get vaccinated. There are some medical reasons to avoid it, and some religious beliefs that forbid it, otherwise I suppose a lack of trust in the pharma establishment might lead one to reject it.

• Like 1

This will be hard to answer without making it political but I’ll try. I read a poll on this and while the answer sounds silly it’s because the (to avoid being too political let’s just say other side) wants them to.  Their hatred for that political party blinds them to making (at least to me) right decision.  Also certain minority groups have had a history of this government not treating them so nicely with regards to vaccines and that has bread skepticism throughout the years.  even now. Finally I think many in the government are foolishly refusing to lislft any restrictions even after you get vaccinated you still need to follow all the current restrictions like wearing masks outside,  still wearing masks in a place even if everyone is vaccinated, etc.  Which  In that same poll many of those who were hesitant would do it if they could live life normally again.  

hopefully this is ok. Mods please feel free to edit if it’s not

My first shot I had a sore arm for a few days. 2nd shot I had chills and body aches for 1 day. Most of the people I k one who got it had similar reactions.  Only one of my cousins had a pretty bad reaction to the 2nd shot. All moderna or Pfizer. No one I know got the JJ

I am waiting. I am not 100% opposed, but feel this was very rushed. Add to this that through four bouts of being told some person in my small family tested positive, we have showed almost no reaction after the first, and that was less severe than the side effects of the shots that we are seeing. Being at so low a risk, and thinking it will get better over time, we are being very patient. 

Tpt - You may already know this but just in case, the covid vaccine works much differently than most other vaccines. The only reason that a vaccine was able to be produced so quickly is because the technology/science of it had already been in development for years. So they were able to rush to adapt it to covid, but they were far from starting from scratch on it. Even skipping many roadblocks, they wouldn’t be anywhere close to having a vaccine if the groundwork hadn’t already been layed. However to also agree with you, while they are now recommending it for pregnant women, my wife is did not want to be in the first wave of 1st trimester pregnancy women to receive it so she is waiting until after the baby comes.

My family had it early in 2020 and we all had little or no effects except for my MIL who felt pretty bad for 2-3 weeks. I was exposed to it again this past February, and while two other people with much less exposure to this person then tested positive, I tested negative. 

Even feeling very low risk for myself and my family, I got my first shot and will get the second, because I will then be less likely to be able to spread it to other people.

Unlike many, I think the masks should be the absolute last thing to be lifted. It’s only a minor inconvenience and is quite effective. The flu is almost nonexistant this year. I’d much prefer to see schools and businesses open back up to full capacity while keeping the mask rules instead of the other way around.

Most of the arguments that I've heard from people is they just haven't been made comfortable with the vaccine and it's safety. They believe it was rushed and things were over looked. Unfortunately, it's also difficult to disprove this because people will only believe information from specific groups and there are still groups out there that are rallying against the vaccine. I kind of get it. The literature they provided me when i got my shot said multiple times it wasn't FDA approved and was only being used under emergency authorization. They went through all the right steps they just started them all at once instead of doing them sequentially. It's not even the first mRNA vaccine used. They made a few for different diseases in the 2010s like Zika and influenza.

Another argument, that I had a hard time saying anything against, was women who were, or were planning on becoming pregnant. There were few studies for vaccination during pregnancy and the side effects on the unborn child are unknown. Being young and healthy the risk of them having a severe illness was very small.

8 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

religious beliefs that forbid it,

I don't know the religious arguments well but i swore most of that was surrounding the use of stem cells. I do not believe stem cells were used to make either of the mRNA shots. There are also different religions opposed to different animal byproducts, which neither of the mRNA shots have either. They are supposed to be religious friendly and vegan friendly.

The J&J does use material that was derived from stem cells though...

The reason the whole thing is worse than it could have been, is that too many people wouldn't do their part.  Non-symptomatic spread is a terrible thing, that almost half can't seem to understand.  Too many simply believe what they want to believe.  Especially when so much money is spent to influence people who are easily persuaded.  

My Scientist friends knew it had the possibility of getting bad back before the first of the year, 2020.  None of them, nor any of my friends ever contracted it   edited to add:  and even more importantly, we never spread it to anyone else.  We didn't wait for any government agency to tell us what we should do.  They had a conference scheduled for the end of January 2020, and moved it up to the first of that month because of the virus.

It will continue to carry on, at some rate, for a while yet simply because of the ones not doing their part.  

I feel like there have been some really good things learned from this.  It gets us a Lot closer to having a vaccine against all viruses, including even the common cold.

Pam and I had a sore arm, and felt slow for a day after the second shot, but that was a small price to pay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I don't know the religious arguments well but i swore most of that was surrounding the use of stem cells. I do not believe stem cells were used to make either of the mRNA shots. There are also different religions opposed to different animal byproducts, which neither of the mRNA shots have either. They are supposed to be religious friendly and vegan friendly.

The J&J does use material that was derived from stem cells though...

According to Reuters the J&J one doesn't. https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-johnson-aborted/fact-check-johnson-johnsons-covid-19-vaccine-does-not-contain-aborted-fetal-cells-idUSL1N2LU1T9

There are a lot of animal byproducts used in many medical devices. I've often wondered what specific religions and vegans do in those cases.

Regarding it happening fast, it did. It's amazing what can happen when you cut through the process and do everything at once. Running these through the process all together allowed that to be cut down significantly. Imagine if instead of starting to build a table from a standing tree you had pre-finished legs and aprons arrive while you build the top. One is quicker but not necessarily of lower quality.

I'm the last of my immediate family to get the shots. So far everyone has had sore arms and I think my dad took a nap, which may or may not have been related. My 2nd dose is in 2 weeks and we will continue to wear masks indoors until it's safe not to. Even after that, I don't think I'll be getting on the subway or any densely populated thing without one for a long time.

10 minutes ago, legenddc said:

According to Reuters the J&J one doesn't. 

This is the religious catch, from the article you linked "While the vaccine used lab-replicated fetal cells (known as fetal cell lines) during its production process, the vaccine itself does not contain any fetal cells." Further down " The Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines used fetal cell lines in their testing stages. Johnson & Johnson used a human fetal cell line called PER.C6, developed from the retinal cells of an 18-week-old fetus aborted in 1985 in its production and manufacturing stages."

Not defending or advocating for any stance just making sure the arguments are properly represented.

Before you read the rest of my statement please read this first;

I gladly received the vaccine in Jan, as a Dentist I was at the top of the list. I had no problems with the shot and felt relieved that I could go to work with a higher level of comfort and safety for myself and my patients. But.........

For me the answer is as simple as it's my body and my choice. It is not even FDA approved and people have every right to decline it, AND everyone that wants it now has every opportunity to receive it. The fact that everyone who believes in the vaccine has the ability to get it now means they are protected, those against getting it have made the choice and are not protected, they are free to assume that risk and they are not threatening those who wanted and took the vaccine. 

Also, had a patient yesterday berate one of my staff because she has not gotten the vaccine, completely out of line and inappropriate. The staff member already had tested positive and recovered from Covid, in theory she should be immune. The patient who berated her had already received the vaccine, so in theory she was protected. 

As for the argument that it will persist in the community unless we all get vaccinated, we'll see, I think that is yet to be determined, and again everyone who wants the protection can get the protection of the vaccine.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

This is the religious catch, from the article you linked

Thank you for the further clarification.

7 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Also, had a patient yesterday berate one of my staff...

I hope you mean a former patient. This nonsense has to stop. If you don't agree with me you're wrong. How stupid. People need to learn that you can disagree with someone and not berate them. You can even be friends with someone who you disagree with.

• Like 1

I hope that staff member availed themself of a free covid shot at some point. Having and recovering from Covid is no guarantee you generated enough antibodies to prevent getting it again. Every little bit helps. Still that patient needs to learn a bit of tact, staff has enough stress in life without being verbally attacked!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

Also, had a patient yesterday berate one of my staff because she has not gotten the vaccine, completely out of line and inappropriate. The staff member already had tested positive and recovered from Covid, in theory she should be immune. The patient who berated her had already received the vaccine, so in theory she was protected. 

Yikes your staff should not have to put up with that.

I will add that there is some research that the vaccines are providing a higher amount of protection as well as additional protection against variants. There is less evidence of contracting the virus and variant protection. So as of now there is evidence that points towards a benefit to receiving the vaccine even though you have tested positive.... I really should cite sources for this it makes me uncomfortable to not, but I'm in my shop and am being kind of lazy.

I had some work to do in the Register of Deeds office yesterday.  They had the thermometer, and hand sanitizer, which I used both of, but they all Really appreciated it when I told them that I was fully vaccinated.  They all said they were too, but still gave out a real sigh of relief.  It was a visit more like old times, only with everyone wearing a mask.

I can understand someone not wanting to get vaccinated, for whatever the reason, but I don't want them anywhere near me.

As far as being friends with people of different beliefs, I can be friendly with anyone, as long as they act respectfully, but that doesn't mean I want to spend any time with them.  I don't go in some of the local stores anymore, because they always have one particular, propaganda for simple minded people news channel on.  I went to my tire store, that I have dealt with for a Long time, but they had the news channel more extremist than the one in the stores on, so I just turned around, and left-won't go back.  Other places sell tires.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for keeping the politics out of this conversation and keeping it civil.

For the record, I haven't and will not be getting it.  For one, I've had Covid and secondly, I don't care to be part of the test group.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

Thanks to all for keeping the politics out of this conversation and keeping it civil.

For the record, I haven't and will not be getting it.  For one, I've had Covid and secondly, I don't care to be part of the test group.  

I’m impressed, it’s been almost 24 hours and this thread hasn’t turned into a dumpster fire! 

You wouldn’t be part of the test group. The test groups have already come and gone. 

I had hoped, when starting this that it would last to get varying opinions because so many times, it’s hard to believe what you read and hear on the media. And like Kev stated, thanks for keeping it civil and thanks for your opinion as everyone has one. Keep ‘em coming. 

• Like 2

@..Kev Without judgement, how long would one have to be out before you felt like you would no longer be part of the “test group?” Or what other milestone would it need to reach before you felt comfortable with it?

I truly don’t understand this opinion, but would like to learn the thinking behind it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnG said:

@..Kev Without judgement, how long would one have to be out before you felt like you would no longer be part of the “test group?” Or what other milestone would it need to reach before you felt comfortable with it?

I truly don’t understand this opinion, but would like to learn the thinking behind it.

Probably some FDA approval without having to label it emergency use.

• Like 2