Incra Miter 5000 v Miter Express

oldman_pottering

Yes, I believe you can.  I have the 1000HD and the miter guage can ride directly in the saw's miter slot or, as in my case, attach to the sled.  Why not give Incra a call to be sure, before you shell out some bucks.

By the way,  good to see you on the forum again.

I have the 5000.  The size of the miter express and the 5000 are different.  The 5000 has a bigger sled surface 23 X 15 on the left of the blade and to fence extends to over 60 inches.  It might be worth the wait. 

On 7/3/2021 at 9:07 AM, Mark J said:

Yes, I believe you can.  I have the 1000HD and the miter guage can ride directly in the saw's miter slot or, as in my case, attach to the sled.  Why not give Incra a call to be sure, before you shell out some bucks.

By the way,  good to see you on the forum again.

Good idea and thanks, I drive interstate trucks and am only home on the weekend for a day and a half, my woodworking time is very limited

On 7/3/2021 at 9:10 AM, Tom King said:

When you order the Miter 5000, the miter gauge, and sled come in separate boxes, just like if you bought them separately.  My sled, that I bought at a Black Friday sale, a couple of years ago, is still in the box.  It's a great miter gauge.

Thank you

On 7/3/2021 at 9:47 AM, Chet said:

I have the 5000.  The size of the miter express and the 5000 are different.  The 5000 has a bigger sled surface 23 X 15 on the left of the blade and to fence extends to over 60 inches.  It might be worth the wait. 

Good to know, thanks for the info

On 7/3/2021 at 11:05 AM, Chestnut said:

I think the end price is the same or similar. The 5000 is by far the way to go. I have a miter express and 1000hd i never use the miter express.

Good point, thanks for the info

the 5000 is tempting me. The main thing that I want is a longer telescoping fence. I just saw you can order longer fences for the miter gauges so I think I might upgrade my 1000HD.

Then because i have a 1000 as well I'll just put the 1000HD fence on my 1000. It's really nice to have 2 miter gauges.

On 7/6/2021 at 7:00 AM, Chestnut said:

It's really nice to have 2 miter gauges.

If you want to miter gauges you might want to look at the Harvey Miter Gauge.  It put my Incra 1000HD out to pasture.  I just use the Harvey most of the time and the Incra 5000 when necessary.

On 7/6/2021 at 1:46 PM, Chet said:

If you want to miter gauges you might want to look at the Harvey Miter Gauge.  It put my Incra 1000HD out to pasture.  I just use the Harvey most of the time and the Incra 5000 when necessary.

I'm taking you up on this suggestion, ordered one despite having the Incra 1000HD and the miter express. I've love the Incra, and there is no doubting it's accuracy, but the Harvey gauge has more features and looks more user friendly. Now My Incra 1000HD can stay on the miter express, which I do use fairly often when cutting wider panels. I could probably partially retire the miter express if I got a track saw.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chet said:

The harvey gauge is very attractive looking. I already have 4 miter gauges and have had them all set up and in use on 1 project before. I'd like to get it but i really need a fence with a stop that will extend beyond 36" as i can currently get near 36" but it hasn't been enough.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2021 at 9:05 PM, Chestnut said:

I think the end price is the same or similar. The 5000 is by far the way to go. I have a miter express and 1000hd i never use the miter express.

I have an Incra 1000SE and the Miter Express and I also no longer use the sled at all. The 5000 looks like a different story and interests me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/4/2021 at 11:47 AM, pkinneb said:

Buy the Harvey miter gauge and call it done! :) 

Even though the Miter 5000 is a sled ? 

On 7/5/2021 at 1:52 AM, Chet said:

Lol, I did, I am glad I did but I still use my 5000 sled on occasion but less then I used to.

How did the Harvey miter gauge reduce the times you used your 5000 sled ?

On 7/7/2021 at 3:46 AM, Chet said:

In what way was the Harvey so much better ? and when would it be necessary to use the sled?

I'm getting myself confused as to whether I need a sled or just a good miter gauge

I'm considering upgrading my TS to a Harvey and if I do the Harvey includes the miter gauge in the deal

On 11/6/2021 at 7:13 AM, wtnhighlander said:

@oldman_woodworker, I'd vote that you move ahead with the Harvey saw and miter gauge.  The only advantage of a sled is that the work is supported from below, as well as behind, so small pieces can be handled in a more robust and safe fashion.

I'm leaning that way myself, just wondering if down the track I would still be wanting a sled for the Harvey Miter gauge, I guess I could still purchase the Miter Express and the Harvey gauge would fit into that if needed

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 12:34 PM, oldman_woodworker said:

In what way was the Harvey so much better ? and when would it be necessary to use the sled?

I use my Harvey gauge most of the time.  But when the piece starts getting wider then 6 inches or is starts getting longer then 4 feet then I go to the 5000.   The Harvey is a well built gauge that needs no tools to make adjustments but there are times where the 5000 is the better tool.

If you don't have anything get the Harvey first.

On 11/6/2021 at 7:44 AM, Chet said:

I use my Harvey gauge most of the time.  But when the piece starts getting wider then 6 inches or is starts getting longer then 4 feet then I go to the 5000.   The Harvey is a well built gauge that needs no tools to make adjustments but there are times where the 5000 is the better tool.

If you don't have anything get the Harvey first.

Thanks for the info, I rarely cut large pieces, I mainly only fiddle around, at the moment I have a Sherwood TS ( promoted quite a lot here in AU by a larger woodworking company which has been good for the years I've had it but lately the height mechanism has been binding and giving me the tom titts so I figure I might buy myself and very good saw that will be my last and be done with it, I just tell the better half I'm getting a free miter gauge that will cost just under 4 grand.......should be a no brainer :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

By Harvey miter gauge, I'm assuming you all are talking about the Compass MG-36? 

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/products/compass-miter-gauge-mg-36

Just curious as I'll be in the market for one in the near future. I'd been thinking about the Jess-Em Mite-R-Excell ii, but now you've got me thinking about other options.

On 11/10/2021 at 4:24 PM, Jonathan McCully said:

By Harvey miter gauge, I'm assuming you all are talking about the Compass MG-36? 

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/products/compass-miter-gauge-mg-36

Just curious as I'll be in the market for one in the near future. I'd been thinking about the Jess-Em Mite-R-Excell ii, but now you've got me thinking about other options.

Yes sir, the MG-36. You’ll never regret it after you get the initial cost behind you.   :D

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 8:08 PM, Coop said:

Yes sir, the MG-36. You’ll never regret it after you get the initial cost behind you.   :D

Agreed! What @Coop said above!

FWIW Marc is getting ready to do a miter gauge comparison in the not to distant future according to his Instagram posts and confirmed Harvey will be included.