table saw injury

treeslayer

I hate that this happened to you, but glad that it wasn’t worse. 

My wife works in the ER and has seen many TS/BS injuries. Every single one she has seen has said they had 30, 40, 50+ years of experience with the tools. Just one moment of lost focus is all it takes sometimes.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Man, Dave that is really tough to hear but I am glad things seem to be going it the right direction as far as the healing process goes.

When I upgraded to a cabinet saw an number of years back something like this is what drove me to get the one that I did.  The more you do something the greater the odds get of something going wrong and having been a meat cutter for 32 years I figured I had doubled my odds.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 10:51 AM, treeslayer said:

I'm sitting on by behind doing hardly anything

I was passing through and stopped in to see Dave a couple of weeks ago weeks ago to help him with this.  He was in good spirits.  We had a little "feet up" time.  I really enjoyed our visit.

• Like 2

Best wishes! Something that is always on my mind. 2 weeks ago I had a lapse of clear thought and found myself in a vulnerable spot. No blood. But I let myself be exposed. I knew it was stupid and I had a long talk with myself. By you brining this mishap to us is a favor. It adds to my thinking. I have decades of experience too. Cant let the guard down.  Glad you are on the back side of this. This is a double take for most. Thanks.

• Like 1

Dave so sorry this happened and wishing you the best on your recovery!! Having said that I am so glad you shared this I think it is a really important reminder to all of us that it only takes a split second so be safe my friends!!

BTW many of us have been there and I personally can recall a couple times sitting in the emergency room in my 58 years going ya know if I had done this this would not have happened. These reminders help us all remember to think about these things before we turn the machine on.

Also a shout out to any ER doctors they are the best! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave,  I went out yesterday after reading this and made some new push sticks (the William Ng style push stick).  I had some that were past their use by date.  I had been meaning to do it for a while now but it's one of those things you tend to put off.

Thanks for the kick in the seat to get it done.

• Like 1

I dont use too many push blocks/sticks. I think I've got two I've had for 25+ years.

One thing I've learned sinse I got hurt in 85. If you dont need be there, dont.

I've been around a lot of accidents at multiple ships. Most arent a lack of skill, but a percentage. 

Dave thanks for sharing this. This us a reminder that is sobering to read. I've made that cut a few times a after reading this I'm going to stop doing that.

I really hope that your recovery goes well and that it doesn't negatively impact the use of your hand long term. I'd take the time off you relax and reflect. Heading back to anything after a major injury takes the right mental space. I hope you do return though. Your work is always a joy to see.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...