Are Woodworking Forums Dead

Woodenskye

I hope they are not going away.  I too read a lot of them.  Although many times I have thought about putting an answer in a thread I find that there are many good answers that came before, so why be redundant?  I enjoy lots of the technical information, the humour, and the general banter that goes back and forth (if it is polite, and it usually is around here).  I am not in the situation to contribute financially to much, but I pass on what little knowledge and experience I have.  Forums are a great way to spread the word and the information to each other.  It may not be a money maker, but I think it helps to prop up other things that do make money, so I think that the investment could pay off in other ways, even if it is only intrinsic value.

• Like 2

Good post Bryan!

I have my own thoughts on the subject but, will keep them to myself for now only because I am a mod here.

On the Moderator front, we don't get paid and are here because we enjoy the site and the people.

As for being a "supporter", there are other ways to support beyond financial.  Just being active is a great form of support.

• Like 2

I also use youtube as a learning tool, problem is there are people on there with large followings who do stuff like I did 3 years ago, they don't really know what they're doing but have 100,000 people who think they do.  Watched a video the other day of a guy making something and put bolts in every board of the panel he made.  I wasn't being mean or a troll, I just asked him about the wood movement issue.  His response was he doesn't know much about wood movement but it should be fine....

15 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Why did Marc even ask the question?  Did he provide any context?  Or was it a viewer question? 

It was more a topic they wanted to cover.  I don't really remember if it was a direct viewer question.  Marc didn't come off that they were dead (on life support), but Nicole was yes, all forums are dead, because it is easier to jump on Facebook etc.

18 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Why did Marc even ask the question?  Did he provide any context?  Or was it a viewer question? 

I never understood that.  If people are joking, it is not funny.  If people are serious, then I just feel bad for them.  My wife and I don't agree on everything, but I don't drag her through the mud when we have a difference of opinion, and we don't need to ask each other's permission for much. 

My wife and I were discussing this phenomenon, and apparently horse riders will do the same thing, complaining about their husbands at length when they get together. It seemed to us there are a lot of unhappy marriages out there, and since both hobbies have a distinct gender-slant, it comes out.

Just now, Woodenskye said:

It was more a topic they wanted to cover.  I don't really remember if it was a direct viewer question.  Marc didn't come off that they were dead (on life support), but Nicole was yes, all forums are dead, because it is easier to jump on Facebook etc.

I think it was a viewer question asking Marc if he was active on any forums.

Also, on a different side of things, I'd like to point out that WTO is using some of the best forum software I've ever run across.

Forum life is a pendulum. The only way it stays the same is if you can somehow only keep the same people. I don't think you can say forums are dying since this is the only way Certain companies answer questions. Like budgets where you can have bigger debts that are a smaller portion of larger income, I think we struggle with trendiness. Forums are not as trendy maybe, so we have a smaller segment of the population. But, certain forums are bigger than they have ever been.  I am fairly certain forum space will exist for 90% of the questions where I seek answers. Forums just for forum's sake is dying though. Ironically, we are chasing forum models in tech training for education. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

I think it was a viewer question asking Marc if he was active on any forums.

It stemmed from a conversation Marc and I had about my experiences on the forum. The details of which I will not get into, except to say that after our conversation I decided to give it another shot.

It's all about content and community, with an emphasis on the latter. I can't count the number of forums I have historically been a part of, and I'm on probably a dozen at any given time. Sometimes you get too specific and your base dries up. Sometimes the interest dries up. Sometimes the community becomes too much of an echo chamber and opposing views and experiences are shouted down.

Inspiration for me is usually handled by social media these days, and instruction is largely handled by the more respected YouTubers and others who produce video - I just tend to learn better that way. I have always liked the journal portion of this forum the best, seeing a project being born and evolve along the way.

• Like 2

Lots of good points brought up here. I am on a few forums, WW & others, but this is the only one I regularly participate on. WTO seems to have just the right mix of the experienced, the newb, the in between, & the truly talented craftspersons. There is great discussion and a great sense of community. Add to that a good dose of smarta$$ery, but very, very little of the meaness that shows up on so many forums, & it makes for a great forum.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

I prefer forums, especially this one, rather than Facebook groups which are difficult to search. It is true that you can get almost instant response from Facebook but once you have read the response try searching for it again - not easy.

Good forum software like the one this forum is running on make it infinitely better to search for a question that has previously asked. This particular forum is the best run, most friendly and knowledgeable forum of any kind I have participated in. I for one am always happy to pass on my knowledge to others and I am not afraid of asking questions either.

I hope this forum does not go away as when it went offline late last night to a few minutes ago (my time) while it was being moved to a different server it felt like I had lost an old friend.

It's a bit like an addiction, and like you I kinda went into withdrawal yesterday!    Didn't like it one bit!   I feel better now!

• Like 2