New Shop Layout - Thoughts?

kon_jelly

I'm currently taking up 1/2 of our 2 car garage, but my wall space is limited due to my primary wall having two large windows on it, and other things in the garage tend to spill into "my" area. We don't keep a car in there, but we do keep my motorcycle there and enough other miscellaneous items that I can't take over the entire garage myself. So my thought was to put up a temporary wall to segregate my shop from the other half of the garage and give myself some wall space as well. Attached are some photos of the layout I did in SketchUp. 

Any thoughts on the layout or what I should do differently? Everything is mobile except for the workbench/outfeed table, but I will probably end up putting casters on it as well.  The miter stand is taking up a lot of room, but I will keep it there with the wings down for more room. 

I also don't own the jointer just yet, but it's my next purchase. 

Garage2.jpg

Garage1.jpg

27 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Hate to see you close off the other half of the garage.  How much room will you have if you do this?

Room on the other side doesn't really matter, it's mostly just storing some odds and ends and the main way we get into the house. At the width I have it now it'll be just over 11 feet. 

33 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Tight space but, doable if everything is on wheels..

My initial thought would be to remove the big red tool box.  It seems to chew up a bunch of space that could be used for other things.

It's really the only tool storage I have at the moment. I agree it's big, though. 

1. Move the table saw across the space to the opposite wall so that the outfeed side is against the wall.

2. Nix the big red toolbox.

3. Put the band saw where the belt/spindle sander is.

4. Put the jointer and planer back to back where you have the outfeed table.

5. Chop saw and drill press on the wall where you have the jointer.

If it was me I'd rather have the space open than split it that way and in those proportions.  It doesn't look very workable if you will have projects of much size.  I did use a wall across the back in my two car garage shop to create a 6' deep laundry/storage area.

Depending on what you are storing in the other side maybe shelves would accommodate much of it and if not I'd suggest doing as I did and adding a big shed to get the other stuff out of the shop.  I have 16" deep shelves floor to ceiling on close to half of the wall space and added a largish shed to get a lot of the non-shop stuff out of the shop.

Between the laundry/storage room, the shed, and putting some non shop stuff on the less easily accessible shelf space I wind up with a nice workable 18'x18' space dedicated to the shop.

• Like 1

The wall will kill maneuvering room for long stock.  We all have different priorities so what is important to one is not important to another.  For me:

Skip the wall.  This leaves open room to the right of the tablesaw which means you can . . .

Lose the CMS.  The footprint versus value is way out of proportion.

Lose the big red toolbox.  Build drawers under all your machine stands and add a wall mounted tool cabinet.

Put the spindle sander and planer on two sides of a flip top stand.  This will cost you some drawers but, you recover one foot print.

Put the drill press in the corner.  You can roll it out for the times you need more than 6 feet or so of width for material but, how often is that?

My wonderful wife was one of those who entered and exited the house through the garage.  When we moved in together she adapted easily to using the front door for its intended purpose.  She did not adjust as well to the fact that no vehicle lives in a garage in my reality :).

• Like 1

I agree with @micks that the tablesaw should either be turned 180 or moved to the other wall. I also have no use for a mitre saw and I find crosscutting on a TC sled great as @Ronn W does.

A fold down outfeed table on the TC may help. That big tool cabinet would have to go from my shop. When you make a wall hanging tool cabinet maybe that would be the time to get rid of it.

A glaring omission appears to be a workbench unless you intend using the outfeed table. That is not always a good idea as you will have to remove whatever you are building on the bench every time you want to use the tablesaw. Getting rid of the miter saw gives you the opportunity of using that space for a workbench.

I've just read it again and see you are only considering putting up a temporary wall. I would be inclined to leave out the wall and just occupy the left stall. Having room to swing around plywood and long stock is always an advantage.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gee-dub said:

The wall will kill maneuvering room for long stock.  We all have different priorities so what is important to one is not important to another.  For me:

Skip the wall.  This leaves open room to the right of the tablesaw which means you can . . .

Lose the CMS.  The footprint versus value is way out of proportion.

Lose the big red toolbox.  Build drawers under all your machine stands and add a wall mounted tool cabinet.

Put the spindle sander and planer on two sides of a flip top stand.  This will cost you some drawers but, you recover one foot print.

Put the drill press in the corner.  You can roll it out for the times you need more than 6 feet or so of width for material but, how often is that?

My wonderful wife was one of those who entered and exited the house through the garage.  When we moved in together she adapted easily to using the front door for its intended purpose.  She did not adjust as well to the fact that no vehicle lives in a garage in my reality :).

X2 - you just saved me a lot of typing on my iPad :D

• Like 1

All great ideas. Seems like the toolbox is universally hated. :) 

The spindle sander is on a flip cart, and there's a 12" disc sander under it, it's just not in the sketchup file. The planer is also on a flip cart but I don't have a tool to fit under it - it's just planning for the future. 

I'll definitely consider not putting up the wall, but I can just see the continual creep of junk into the shop area... 

On 1/31/2017 at 9:43 PM, Just Bob said:

If it is possible move the DC outside or to the other side of the wall and run duct.  Combine the planer and rigid into one flip style stand.  Really think about the tool box, is it absolutely necessary in the wood shop?

Unfortunately the DC has to be in the garage. The garage is surrounded on two walls by the house, and the other wall faces the street (and obviously the front of the garage is the driveway). There's just nowhere for it to go.

42 minutes ago, kon_jelly said:

I'll definitely consider not putting up the wall, but I can just see the continual creep of junk into the shop area...

I wondered if this was part of the trigger to put up a wall.  Shop discipline can be a battle in some situations.  Especially if other folks in the home don't respect what it is you're trying to do.  This is not their fault; they have seen too many HGTV shows where they destroy a kitchen, break for commercial and when you get back they are hanging the cabinets.  Its just that easy, right?

Having a rewarding experience from your shop involves more than enthusiasm; you must also have a work ethic.  This is particularly important when space is cramped.  Organization and the discipline to keep things in their place and keep your work area clean doesn't make you Felix Unger.  It is a safety issue; a cluttered work area leads to frustration at best and accidents at the worst. 

Good to hear you are already using the space on the flip tops (or plan to).  My flip top was one of my best investments of time for my previous shop.  If you have all your tools neatly arranged but don't build in any "white space" to work in, things can become unpleasant.  The flip top and a mobile outfeed made my tiny shop very workable.  My flip top lives on in dad's shop but, I still remember the space it bought me fondly.  You are at a very fun stage of this journey, enjoy the ride.

3 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

How about putting up a shed? That's what I did when I was in the garage and no creep after that!

I just think the wall is a bad idea. 

Unfortunately my HOA won't really allow a shed. I mean technically they would, but I would need to submit for approval and it would need to be designed with the same materials as my house. The chances of it being approved are very low, anyway. I hate my HOA. 

I'm going to reconsider the wall. This weekend my wife is out of town so I plan on organizing it to the layout above, and after that I'll see if I really want the wall or not. 

Can you move the wall over to give you a bit more room.  Does it have to go down what I am assuming is the middle.  The more space you give for things to creep the more they will creep.  I think it is one of the laws of nature.

Move the wall over some and then build some very organized storage on the other side.

1 hour ago, Chet K said:

Can you move the wall over to give you a bit more room.  Does it have to go down what I am assuming is the middle.  The more space you give for things to creep the more they will creep.  I think it is one of the laws of nature.

Move the wall over some and then build some very organized storage on the other side.

So, if we look at the pros/cons of the wall.

Pro:

• Defines the shop space, protecting it from encroachment.
  • Provides wall-storage

Cons:

• Reduces maneuvering room
  • Prevents the shop from growing outward and taking over the rest of the garage :D

How about a dedicated storage unit? Make it free-standing, and put it at the 2/3's of the way mark into the non-shop side. Make it at least 6ft tall, with 18" shelves the whole way up. You can leave the shelves open or closed off. You can fit a hell of a lot of crap on a shelving unit like that. Even if it doesn't go the length of the shop, it creates a visual barrier, separating the two areas. It's also a lot easier to move a shelving unit than a wall.

You could obviously build it yourself, or if you want the quick option, go and buy a couple of the free-standing ones from Costco. They are intended for Garage storage like this.

I work in a 10x16 shop that has a table saw with out feed, dust collector, Band saw and 8 foot miter/router station. Also a workbench with drawers at the end (10 foot end) with bench Drill press and belt/disk sander on it.

Windows on one end and one side. Love the natural light.

Hate the size. Once a project is started it consumes the space and nothing else can be done in there. Use of the table saw grinds to a halt as the out feed doubles as assembly table. Everything is on wheels.

Some days I have to step outside to change my mind it's so crowded. I work on everything from building wooden cars with the Grandson to a king size bed for the bedroom.

My advice is cramp your storage on the other side of the wall and make the shop as big as possible. Might cut down on the junk factor in the storage area to.

I'm designing a 20x30 shop to be built next spring ahhhhhhhhh...

Stampy

• Like 1

I think you are close.  My tablesaw is in what would be the lower right corner of your drawing.  My back is to the garage door which I only need to open when I want to cut something longer than the space between the door and the blade.  For me it is 60" to accommodate BB ply on the rare occasions that I use it but, it could just as well be 36" depending on what you do. 

Since you are building the wall, you could move the door if this idea appeals to you.  The big downside to this is the distance from your DC.  Mine is right next to the tablesaw but, I have a 20' width.