Bubinga Lowbacks

shaneymack

Looking great Shane!!

What was the advantage for the additional sculpting before glue that you mentioned in the post as opposed to your previous sculpted seat?

Thanks Alan ! It is much easier to manouver the grinder when dealing with the individual seat pieces. I much preferred doing it this way. Definitely the route I will take for all future sculpted seats.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I can't wait to rub my butt on these! 

You want to buy them?

My digital angle box has amazed me. I'm getting 1/2 degree angle accuracy or better ! 

Your getting some beautifully clean cuts on wood that's so hard. Shame you chewed up your hose end. Maybe your Festool dealer will hook you up with at replacement ?

Ya the cuts are surprisingly clean. I was sure to clean all my blades before starting this project. Im also using the heavy duty rip blade for all rip cuts which really helps.

I will get my guy to throw one in on my next big order. I wasn't being careful at all knowing it's a replaceable part. Collecting the dust was more important to me. For now it still works .

Nice work as usual Shane.

Seems to me you should have earned a freebie by now.

Thanks Chet. I've received lots of freebies already. Don't tell anyone though ;)

You sir must have some serious arm strength to hold a running grinder in one hand and sculpt a seat LOL. Having said that they look great! Thanks for sharing

Ya its the carpenter grip strength. You end up getting crazy grip strength from carrying materials and using tools all day long. Ive probably lost some of that from my main tool being a laptop and cell phone now but its still there.

All that said, my forearm is killing me lol....

10 hours ago, shaneymack said:

It is much easier to manouver the grinder when dealing with the individual seat pieces. I much preferred doing it this way. Definitely the route I will take for all future sculpted seats.

Now I get it...So you just work one piece of the seat at a time, apart from all of the others? At first I thought you sculpted the seat with the unglued pieces just clamped together and could not figure out why that method was helpful. Always enjoy following your journals. Learn something new each time!

• Like 1

That end grain sure has a nice shine right off the saw.

You're using a router plane to clean up the kerf. Since I inherited my Dad's ancient Stanley router plane, I've found it to be invaluable. So quick & easy to get a perfect, even, flat bottomed dado or groove. And it seems like those never come out perfectly even depth off the dado cutter when doing sheet goods.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Just for fun i double checked with the digital guage. I surprised it was exactly on. Probably lucky.

210da9251ed92b69319cca53ef8fb021.jpg

I started with the ras115 with 24 grit.

a6bbbb6fd9225fe50202f0126dc6a543.jpg

The bubinga was waaaaaaay to hard even with the 24 grit. It was like cutting steak with a butter knife. ....or my finger. The ras would work great on a normal wood that wasn't hard as steel.

00509e0f39751ca0b397383ff7e7aaa0.jpg

Do you flag your jointer somehow when you set it to some angle other than 90 degrees? Especially when it's something small like 87 degrees. I don't always have the luxury of finishing one project before I have to start another, so I hate when I adjust something small one day and then come back to it 2 days later assuming it's 90 degrees and I find out that it's at 87 AFTER I use it.

Also, with the Bubinga, would something like an arbortech do a better job on the power sculpting over the 24 grit? I know it's not the right shade of green, but we promise not to tell your Dealer.

-E

• Like 1

That end grain sure has a nice shine right off the saw.

You're using a router plane to clean up the kerf. Since I inherited my Dad's ancient Stanley router plane, I've found it to be invaluable. So quick & easy to get a perfect, even, flat bottomed dado or groove. And it seems like those never come out perfectly even depth off the dado cutter when doing sheet goods.

Totally agree, Frank. Router plane is invaluable.

Do you flag your jointer somehow when you set it to some angle other than 90 degrees? Especially when it's something small like 87 degrees. I don't always have the luxury of finishing one project before I have to start another, so I hate when I adjust something small one day and then come back to it 2 days later assuming it's 90 degrees and I find out that it's at 87 AFTER I use it.

Also, with the Bubinga, would something like an arbortech do a better job on the power sculpting over the 24 grit? I know it's not the right shade of green, but we promise not to tell your Dealer.

-E

No its pretty obvious that it isnt 90°.

If you look at the photos, there is one of the grinder and kutzall wheel i used. There was no way the 24 grit would have gotten through that bubinga. Or I would still be in there sculpting ! Lol