Shaneymack

RichardA

I guess I'll make a few more comments in this thread then try to get on with my day, lest I appear defensive or thin-skinned myself.

17 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I usually express my opinion but qualify it as one way among many, not the only way.

Like I said, I have firm opinions about certain things, but I never consider my opinion to be "the best" since the very nature of opinions precludes that as a possibility.  However, I do believe there is often an objectively better way to do something, and occasionally matters of aesthetics and taste can also be more black-and-white than people think.  Otherwise there wouldn't be any books on design.  Ask George Walker and I bet he'd agree.  Read any Krenov book and you'll detect a steadfast commitment to his pursuit of excellence, almost to the point that he seems arrogant.  And I suppose that's how some people feel about me and some of my comments.  Not that I put myself in the same league as Krenov...far, far from it...but the philosophy is valid, and I appreciate his willingness to be honest, and for pushing me to consider the way I do things may be inferior in some way...even at the risk of sounding like an elitist and possibly even ostracizing some readers.  That's integrity, and I respect that.

I'll also add, since we're talking about people leaving the forum...that several of the most valuable voices this forum has ever known have left because they could no longer stomach the river of bad information that flows through this place at times.  Newbie woodworkers will speak up on subjects they clearly have no idea about, give piss-poor advice on a subject, and without someone else correcting them and sounding like a jerk, their "opinion" would carry just as much weight as the experienced one just above or below it in a thread...which is a disservice to other new woodworkers, this forum, and society in general.

There have been times when I thought I might give up on the forum as well because of the way that mediocrity seems to be so commonly accepted...that people were afraid or "too nice" to tell someone they built something entirely wrong structurally, or that they could have improved a piece dramatically by making certain changes.  But ultimately I come back anyway because I think in the grand scheme of things, honesty is more useful to people than pandering.  I assume that we're all here to learn new things, and every critical comment I make is given in an effort to be constructive, even if that occasionally results in a hurt butt.  As for my propensity to be overly-argumentative at times...that's a self-indulgent character flaw of mine, and for that I do apologize.  I'm working on it.

7 hours ago, Immortan D said:

Now if he could kill the "everyone else is a loser" part of some of his posts, just that part... LOL

Again, it's never my intention to come across this way.  I think the internet is a poor substitute for real human interaction, and most nuance in personality is lost in space because people can't look each other in the eye while having conversations.  I like the vast majority of the people who participate in this forum, regardless of skill level, and I would never go out of my way to shit on someone's work simply to hurt feelings.

A perfect example is Denette's current project...he specifically asked for design opinions, and I gave him mine even though I know it's probably not what he wanted to hear.  He's been very open to the criticism and gracious in his response to it, but if his feelings were hurt he has to take at least a little bit of responsibility for opening the door.  One would hope - maybe even thankful?  What good is any response to that question if you're not telling the truth?  No one grows when they're being placated.  When I'm given an honest opinion about my work from another woodworker whose opinion I respect, I truly appreciate it even when it hurts.  It makes me think about my choices, it widens my perspective, and ultimately it makes me a better woodworker.  My goal is to pursue this craft to the best of my ability, and I contribute to other people's threads expecting they feel the same way.  I'm always interested in hearing about how other people see my pieces, and honest feedback is always welcome, whether positive or negative.

7 hours ago, bgreenb said:

...expectations of himself.  I think part of E's "suffer no fools" attitude sometimes comes from the fact that he demands that absolute best from himself and gets frustrated when others don't do the same, make compromises, or try to take shortcuts.  I interpret his attitude as "tough love" - a genuine desire to make you better.  And it's called "tough LOVE" for a reason.

Is this too long for an epitaph?  If I was better with words I would have just typed this and been done with it.  Thanks man.

And yes Joe, despite the fact that my kids DO both have participation trophies in their rooms - and despite the fact that I would never tell them they're meaningless (maybe I should?)...I am firmly against the whole concept.  I think it breeds a lazy society that puts no importance on pursuit of excellence, whatever the pursuit may be.  Emphasis on pursuit...I am far from a master but I know when I'm doing my best work and when I'm not, and my goal is always to do the best work I'm capable of, whatever skill level I happen to be performing at at the time.  I think when people are rewarded for lackluster performance or half-ass effort, it's a permission slip to be content in their mediocrity.

Enough of that and enough about me.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Again, it's never my intention to come across this way.  I think the internet is a poor substitute for real human interaction, and most nuance in personality is lost in space because people can't look each other in the eye while having conversations.  I like the vast majority of the people who participate in this forum, regardless of skill level, and I would never go out of my way to shit on someone's work simply to hurt feelings.

I've been here long enough to know you're good people, Eric, and one heck of a woodworker. In fact, you yourself, Steve, Trip and PB were the main reasons that led me to join these forums. All that knowledge and experience. Over the years, some of them took the shaper's path and left us, but others have emerged, first class woodworkers all of them. Shane is an example and there are many more.  I'd hate to see him gone. Or any other people who think they don't belong here just because they have a different workflow or use a different set of tools. We can criticize without sounding judgemental, especially when one has a badge under their name that makes authoritarian comments sound authoritative.

• Like 2

If I needed a safe space then I would go attend a University. This is a woodworking forum made up of adults. If Eric says something I consider rude, I just ignore it. Simple enough. I respect his knowledge even though sometimes he can be abrasive. It's a package deal.

I really like Shaney, have learned a great deal from him and read almost all of his posts but if he doesn't feel comfortable here, then that's his choice. I hope he'll come back and if he has an issue with Eric they should PM it out. 

This forum is about micro-adjusting, not micro-aggressions :)

• Like 2

I would not be a part of a forum if I thought I had seen it all and knew it all. Not everyone gains what I gain or has the internet time while away from home that I have. I miss who is gone,  but know that life is more important than internet relationships and commentary. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mat60 said:

Eric is not that bad once you get to no him a little.

Ehhh, a little too left wing for me;)! Damn E, your wife can reach back to here in 80 years and use all of this as a tribute to you at your funeral! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I'm on the newer end of the woodworking experience scale here and am certainly guilty of a lot of the mediocrity that Eric hates.

I've never seen any mediocrity out of you, Frank.  Following your wife's instructions is called survival instinct, not mediocrity. ;)  You do clean work, from what I've seen.

• Like 1

Don't know why for sure he left. Might be busy, might be something else. Eric name gets posted and pile on Eric. Unless he says why he left shouldn't we leave our big kid pants on? Damn guy.

I heard he left because they shot Harambe . Hell I don't don't, but run with that a while 

If they shot a wild one on the wild, I might be disappointed. They shot one they ruined by keeping in captivity. That is a strike in my book. They shot one in possession of a kid. If the kid lived, I can support it. This is the hijack thread, right?

• Chet locked this topic