hearing protection

collinb

13 minutes ago, collinb said:

I've got the standard 25db hearing protection muffs.

With this DW735 I need more. Don't really like plugs, but if I have to ...

What are some better/recommended options?

This thing. It's expensive but it is a fool proof fix.

I had to double bag with the 735 and strait knives ear plugs and over ear.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

I use the cheap yellow ones from Woodcraft.  They look like a tiny triple umbrella.  Very similar to what catco sowed, but simpler.

Mine looked like that also but they came from Home depot and just last week I had a small piece of it break off in my ear. I was able to get it out myself.  I have some foam ones I'm using now but may try something else.

These are the ones I've used for decades.   I used to buy them from Bailey's, that sells chainsaw stuff, but I think the last box of 200 came off ebay.   There are a pair of these in the back pocket of every pair of jeans I own, and most shorts pocket.  I never liked the ones with a line attached.

https://www.discountsafetygear.com/earcleaboxof.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=427708692704&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3InYBRCLARIsAG6bfMSVpCTDiEpTW56_zV5gatzhsZS4OvMGw4MvS9aAb9q1RTp7Yn1dCRAaAmulEALw_wcB

10 hours ago, AJ_Engineer said:

Earplugs. Do note that if you wear glasses, as you should to protect your eyes, you will compromise some of the hearing protection from the muffs....

Yes, that's the problem with muffs.  Prescription and safety glasses break the foam seal and let in sound.  And leave aside trying to wear these with a face shield.  

A couple of years ago "Ask This Old House" did a segment on hearing protection and also recommended plugs over muffs.

What kind of ear plugs one might use will be a personal decission.  I was never able to get the foam ones to go in my ears while other folks have no problem making these work.  

Given the above story I will take care to inspect my "triple umbrella" plugs before use.

• Like 1

With the straight, yellow ones I use, you roll them in your fingers to a smaller diameter, insert in the ear, and they gradually expand to fit.  They feel a little strange to start with, but it's quickly gotten used to, and after using them often, you don't even think about them being in there.

On 5/22/2018 at 9:05 AM, Mark J said:

Yes, that's the problem with muffs.  Prescription and safety glasses break the foam seal and let in sound.  And leave aside trying to wear these with a face shield.  

A couple of years ago "Ask This Old House" did a segment on hearing protection and also recommended plugs over muffs.

What kind of ear plugs one might use will be a personal decission.  I was never able to get the foam ones to go in my ears while other folks have no problem making these work.  

Given the above story I will take care to inspect my "triple umbrella" plugs before use.

Muffs offer much better performance, but are hot... Strap on safeties or head worn face shields often avoid the seal break. It takes some trial and error with each set up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Collin - next time a gun show is in town, find the booth and have a set of custom ear plugs molded. Done correctly, they give as complete a protection as you are going to get. Very comfortable to wear. It is best if you clean your ears before wearing them as the fit is snug. I paid $40 for mine. I recently wore them to the NHRA World Finals, and even the nitro burning the top fuel and funny cars were almost quiet.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Robby W said:

Collin - next time a gun show is in town, find the booth and have a set of custom ear plugs molded. Done correctly, they give as complete a protection as you are going to get. Very comfortable to wear. It is best if you clean your ears before wearing them as the fit is snug. I paid $40 for mine. I recently wore them to the NHRA World Finals, and even the nitro burning the top fuel and funny cars were almost quiet.

I have a couple sets of these and they are the best.  I even have a set that you can plug a sound source into.

Mine are made by DB Blocker and have lasted me over 5 years of daily use in my day job.

On 6/2/2018 at 1:31 PM, Robby W said:

... those cars aren't quiet.... I need to go to the NHRA races in Brainard again that stuff is fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

In the time since this post was a hot topic I' ve come across some other sound advice mostly from the turning community.  Skipping to the punch line I have been using Bose QC 20 earbuds with active noise cancelling.  As opposed to the passive suppresion devices Marc was testing.

These are not priced for the faint of heart, but when I'm in front of my lathe my ears are about 8 feet from the 3HP dust collector, so no buyer's remorse here.

Active noise suppression is for steady  noise and the Bose work well. I replaced the Bose earpieces with the Comply ear tips that Marc recommends.  This improved the passive sound dampeneing performance and adds some effecacy for sharp sudden sounds.  

I don't listen to music when I work and I've never plugged it into a sound source, but it's Bose so I'm guessing they will play music. 

The internal battery is rechargable (USB).  I get several work sessions off a charge, and it recharges in a few to several hours.  When the batteries go dead the passive sound reduction is generally enough for me to finish the operation at hand.  

• 11 months later...

Came across this old post and thought I would add my 2 cents. I have custom ear molds from Racing Electronics https://racingelectronics.com/collections/for-race-teams/products/re5-xl 

I have 2 pair of these and one pair are just the ear plugs. They don’t show a photo online of them so I only linked the stereo version which they all look the same except for the cord. On the ear plugs it is just a small round black cord that connects them together. I have been in the pit boxes at NASCAR during the race and these plugs are phenomenal. These are the same things the teams use and this is the company who supplies them. 

• Like 2