Hall Table Inspired by Kyle Toth

wnaziri

That is really nice!! I really like the inlay and banding. Are the center check designs inlays or cuts that show shadow lines? How did you put the back bevel on the table  top bottom after the fact? I am assuming maybe a router and then handtools used to clean up the overhanging "table cloth"? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Are the center check designs inlays or cuts that show shadow lines?

--> Cent check design: kerf frommy Lie-Nielsen dovetail saw with black dyed veneer

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

How did you put the back bevel on the table  top bottom after the fact? I am assuming maybe a router and then handtools used to clean up the overhanging "table cloth"?

--> Bingo:  {router and then handtools used to clean up the overhanging "table cloth"}

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

I do have a question, the "tablecloth" part hanging down, how strong is it?

I did a sample glue up and it took tremendous effort to break the joint.  When the middle bubinga piece was not integrated into the table top, I had it sitting on the hanging ends.  I placed a bunch of lumber on it to see if it would hold up.  In fact, I placed a whole lot of lumber that I had milled for projects on it and it held up amazingly well.  Nothing is unbreakable but I think that joint will hold up in ordinary use.

4 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

how did you do the checkered pattern? 

I drew the lines with a white marker to make sure the squares were evenly spaced and continued down the side naturally.  I clamped a straight edge along each line and created a kerf against the straight edge with my dovetail saw.  I glued 2 mm strips of black dyed veneer into each strip.  It was tedious and time consuming.  However, after I finish my day job, sitting at my workbench and doing the inlay seemed therapeutic and relaxing.

• Like 1