Stupid idiot

Goober

I had to cut a few slots in the side of a cabinet. 1/4 inch wide X 1/8 deep using a 1/4 dado blade. What could  go wrong, right.

@#$^&$#^ on the last cut, had a kick back. Ring finger on my left hand is about 1-1/2" shorter, pinky about 1/4" shorter.

Don't EVER think it's such a small cut you don't need to be as careful. Over 30 years and this happened #%$@#$@&.

BE CAREFUL. At least there was so much nerve damage it doesn't hurt. Be glad to get back into the shop.

• Sad 6

Hope you have a fast recovery and all is well.

We can sometimes forget that when doing cuts like that, because you aren't cutting all the way through and with the rotation of the blade, the blade tends to want to lift the work piece and if that happens all hell can break loose.

Last night I was watching woodworking videos on Utube and several guys were cutting dados exactly the same way I was when I mangled my fingers.  Some of these were VERY experienced woodworkers. There was one guy using a Sawstop that was doing thing that'll keep me puckered up for a month. Anyway........I've been woodworking since the early 80s and some of you guys make me feel like a beginner. I can't get over how good some you guys are! Thanks for being such a resource. All I can do is watch videos for now.

• Like 2

Goober I'm sorry to hear about your injury but i appreciate that you shared it with us. It's not always easy to share mistakes like that but if it helps one person to be more careful it might making sharing something like that worth it.

It's reminded me to be more careful so thank you. I wish you a speedy recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but my condolences as well.  And thanks for posting.  Kickback has such random consequences that I'm always concerned about it, and I'm grateful to know about this situation.  (PS.  I have a mangled push block from a kickback incident.  I feel it was only dumb luck that it was only the push block!)

Everything seems to be healing just fine. I've been making limited appearances in the shop every day. I'm using this time to get a  PM 100 up and running that I purchased last winter. It is in a whole lot better condition than I thought. I can't find anything wrong. I've just got to finish the electrical tomorrow and fire it up. Thanks to everybody for their thoughts and concerns. We all need to be reminded about safety. My boss to me that I need to be more careful. I told him that I'm always careful however what I forget is not to be stupid.

• Like 1

Speedy recovery for you! Had one kick-back- pushing a small piece through the TS. My push stick wasn't long enough. Let up on the pressure to move forward. Blade caught the piece and tossed it back like the TS was rejecting the piece. Got a small scar from the scrape. Even though I don't stand in line with the blade, this came off at an angle...the same angle where I was standing! Murphy's Law prevails again!