Greene & Greene lamps

treeslayer

set up a tall auxiliary fence and set the depth real close to coming thru, finished with a hand saw176BAF1F-84A3-4317-A4D6-CFF52D300121.thumb.jpeg.5137cd36ac8a182d492a0cea30810e0e.jpegFC2D45B8-DB54-4EB1-AF7E-C4973FB98F2E.thumb.jpeg.3fb4c233c26a26036f14c584d6629708.jpegi‘ve made better cuts like this but not too bad, a little sanding got them right. 564D7B81-5042-4A22-9CB6-7ED353041889.thumb.jpeg.4eeb4b6aea2b36755c659826b53132b2.jpegI routed a groove in both the top and bottom of the skirt, this is for the silicone that will hold the 1/8” X 3/4” stained glass strip in the skirt and hold the top and bottom of the skirt together, next is make a tent to fume them, if the weather would just cooperate 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, treeslayer said:

next is make a tent to fume them, if the weather would just cooperate 

FWIW a hot glue gun is your friend on this one. I just use scrap 1/4 x 1" strips and hot glue them together. Then I drape them with a thicker plastic and use tape to hold the plastic together. I use house wrap tape mostly becuase I have a bunch extra but its also 2" wide and very sticky. Put a sample piece in with lamp so you can pull it out and check it against the samples you have.

10 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

FWIW a hot glue gun is your friend on this one. I just use scrap 1/4 x 1" strips and hot glue them together. Then I drape them with a thicker plastic and use tape to hold the plastic together. I use house wrap tape mostly becuase I have a bunch extra but its also 2" wide and very sticky. Put a sample piece in with lamp so you can pull it out and check it against the samples you have.

Thanks @pkinneb , you’ve been a great help thru all of this, I made a tent today from some scrap 2X4 I had around and made a sample piece same wood, sanded the same grit. is there a reason to use heavier plastic other than less likely to tear? I’m assuming it should be as tight as possible, have tape and Ace ammonia ready to go as soon as weather permits, garnet shellac flakes are in bound. 

22 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Thanks @pkinneb , you’ve been a great help thru all of this, I made a tent today from some scrap 2X4 I had around and made a sample piece same wood, sanded the same grit. is there a reason to use heavier plastic other than less likely to tear? I’m assuming it should be as tight as possible, have tape and Ace ammonia ready to go as soon as weather permits, garnet shellac flakes are in bound. 

Primarily becuase the last thing you want is to get a tear, rip, etc during the process of fuming. You want to keep the fumes in the tent :) 

I look forward to the end result.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Paul where did you get your ammonia? Did you get it locally or order online?

Ace hardware in Champlin, only because it was the closest to me. It was my first time fuming so I followed Pekovich's directions to the letter. Since they provided the desired results I have not moved to anything different.  Also since the ammonia's reusable you only use what you spill, one $5 bottle will probably last me a lifetime :)

• Like 1

388F243F-CE77-4159-BCDF-472F6BB12811.thumb.jpeg.dca7ea7ea346fad05760ca603754ef80.jpegIn the tent with ammonia for about 6 hours and the resultsB5C762F2-014F-4BBD-BC5B-A52009DB3811.thumb.jpeg.9403dfe59e1ab5319dc8001cfb2a7ac6.jpegvery pleased with the results, turned a nice dark khaki color, the test piece in the middle is the garnet shellac I mixed with one coat of satin ARS2DE2E0DD-3900-49F4-9FC5-233E06FFC65A.thumb.jpeg.de48c1df176969f76d2061a713723752.jpeg06B7AC90-4089-4DDE-9B94-4C95B526393E.thumb.jpeg.9b894549faf8907cc679d6ca70f3ac8b.jpegthey sure make a nice pair I think, I can enjoy putting finish on now, fuming, mixing my own shellac were both new to me and something I will do again as I love the look, thanks to @pkinneb and @K Cooper for the help and advice, the next pictures will be the completed lamps with the glass installed, Thanks to everyone for following along on this long ride

• Like 2

Thanks Coop, I kind of freaked out when I started laying on the garnet shellac, it appeared very light colored on the wood, but that quickly changer to that nice warm color, I don’t know if that’s normal or not, I know I will be mixing my own shellac from now on, very nice to apply, and I see why you like to spray it

• 2 weeks later...

The lamp is awesome, Dave! I think the fumed oak is perfect with the amber overcoat. To me, fumed oak with non-ambering finish is a bit to gray-green.

Curious, could the 'apron' around the shade be opened up with a wider glass, without comprimising the structure? I think that would add a great dimension for customizing the pieces. Put a pastoral scene in that strip with the pattern as you show for a cloudy sky overhead.

• Like 1