Porch Pirates

JohnG

Its not perfect but it has started to slow it down around here.  A number of the police departments have started putting tracking devises in the packages.  They put them in the items not just in the box so the low lines can't just ditch the box and be on their way.  They are both planting boxes of their own and also working with the delivery services and putting chips in actual packages.

They also release video to the media of some of the apprehensions.  It's not a perfect solution but it helps.

• Like 1

I have heard that they have started prosecuting around here now, which is good. 

This was the first time we’ve ever had a package stolen. If it becomes a trend, I’ll do something about it. I’d probably make a package lockbox before setting up cameras though. 

I built some picture frames (3) for extended family in Georgia and they were stolen from their porch.  I'll have to rebuild them at some point which is the part that pisses me off.  It's not about the money, it's about the time invested.

Drew is correct about prosecuting these people.  We have laws on the books and it's time to start enforcing them!  Without consequences, thieves just don't care.

It's unlikely that anyone would sneak in to our house, and steal something, but I've gotten in the habit of checking Amazon, and ebay to see what was delivered, every evening.  Once in a while there will be a discrepancy, but it usually shows up in a day, or two.

Today, there is a missing package that was supposed to be in the mailbox, but wasn't.  If someone stole it, maybe they'll get some education from it, and I'll be out 4.99.

It's this book:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Slavery-American-Freedom-The-Ordeal-of-Colonial-Virginia/362816898003?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnG said:

I have heard that they have started prosecuting around here now, which is good. 

This was the first time we’ve ever had a package stolen. If it becomes a trend, I’ll do something about it. I’d probably make a package lockbox before setting up cameras though. 

This is great news.  I'm moving to Indiana or Virginia ;-)  Our failure as a society to follow through with punishments has always baffled me.

My problem is the mail carrier delivering to the wrong address. Fortunately, the other person is kind enough to drive around the corner with our mail and packages. If my medicines are delivered to the OP's house and is pirated, I'm up the proverbial estuary without any means of propulsion.

Mark, it has always been interesting that it takes years for a execution to be carried out. Lawyers like to draw out the appeals process.

39 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

I'm sure the writer of the note sees themselves a pretty cute. I just think they're an a$$hole that can put on a veneer of civilization.

• Thanks 1