Favorite / most used accessories

Brendon_t

I like seeing what other guys are using and find valuable.  One of my favorites came from seeing it on a YouTube video. 

In no particular order,my favorite accessories are the rockler silicone no stick glue up set, fast cap fast break,  Wixey gauge, snap on sand filled 8oz dead blow, and a crown I think 4" square. 

Let's see your faves..

344c86c5d23e60455476b559337ea4ee.jpg

• Like 1

4" PEC double square, crappy lead pencil (wish I could find a better one), veritas marking knife (huge upgrade over the xacto knife I had been using before).

I also really like my brass mallet...out of all the times I've "wasted" a couple extra bucks for the more expensive version of something, I regret this one the least. Has lots of mass, makes it easy to choke up on it and tap things softly, or move down and whack something to death.

81wjM4qJeUL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L6M3BFC

I've always got a few of these (150mm, 6" rule) sitting in my apron next to a mechanical pencil. Easy to read and fits nicel in the pocket. I'll need to get a mini combo square though. They look handy. 

Another accessory which has become useful is Siri. I can ask my phone to convert between imperial and metric measurements and most of the time it happens flawlessly. 

IMG_3784.JPG

23 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

What's the deal with this?  That good? 

I've done everything from fine marking to rough marking with it. The cap has a built in sharpener. There are different color leads you can put in it. For instance, I have a set of white leads for marking up dark woods like walnut. The really thin neck allows you to get in and mark holes and such. On the Roubo when I had to chop out the mortise in the leg for the dog hole to sit in, I used this pencil to get along the outlines of the dog hole. They're a bit pricey, but well worth it.

It's great.  It's made of some silicone that pva and epoxy can't bond to.  The basin is made of the same stuff. The flat side is awesome for spreading glue in domino holes. You can leave glue all over the brush end, let it harden and it will peel right off leaving the bristles clean. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

It's great.  It's made of some silicone that pva and epoxy can't bond to.  The basin is made of the same stuff. The flat side is awesome for spreading glue in domino holes. You can leave glue all over the brush end, let it harden and it will peel right off leaving the bristles clean. 

I use one of those silicone brushes intended for cooking and works good, but I haven't tried with epoxy. Now I have to, lol.

I tested that Rockler silicone brush and it can totally get stuck if you leave it in a cup of epoxy. I now have just the silicone thing without the brush head. :)

I have nothing that isn't already posted on here. I am all over that BCT kerfmaker though. I could have used that just a few hours ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I tested that Rockler silicone brush and it can totally get stuck if you leave it in a cup of epoxy. I now have just the silicone thing without the brush head. :)

I have nothing that isn't already posted on here. I am all over that BCT kerfmaker though. I could have used that just a few hours ago.

You just saved my brush! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Wrap around square. I started out with the Veritas ones, miter & 90 degrees then I got the Woodpeckers 4" one with all the little holes in the center. That lead to the 6" version and the framing square was 18 months of torture waiting...

Hi , I'm Steve and I'm addicted to quality layout tools........

Yeah, it is alarming how much money you can put into laying out lines.