Hijack!

Llama

I almost think chainsaws need a license to buy. Mandatory safety class before first purchase, additional training for the big stuff, etc. If you loan it to an idiot you are liable when he screws up. But they would never enforce it or cope with all the saws already out there and I'm fed up with the nanny government trend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

I almost think chainsaws need a license to buy. Mandatory safety class before first purchase, additional training for the big stuff, etc. If you loan it to an idiot you are liable when he screws up. But they would never enforce it or cope with all the saws already out there and I'm fed up with the nanny government trend.

Maybe we can get Sawstop to make a chainsaw.  Of course they'd sell for $3299 for the 14" - LOL.  I agree with you wholeheartedly Steve about the nanny state.  If you are dumb enough to use a hair dryer in the shower, I just chalk it up to Darwinism.  The problem is if I loan my chainsaw to my neighbor, who tells me he knows how to use it, but he cuts his arm off, I'll get sued by Ken "Just one call, that's all"  Nugent (Ted Nugent's evil cousin) - and lose everything I have.  Sorry for the rant.

For those of you who live in the snowy parts of the US and Canada, how do you keep warm?

My wife and I will be in New York just before Christmas and then travelling north (hopefully ducking over the border to Canada) for a week or so before heading south. After another week or two, we will then make our way to Chicago. 

I’m looking at a pair of Waterproof boots and hoping that two pair of socks will be enough for the feet. 

12 hours ago, lewisc said:

For those of you who live in the snowy parts of the US and Canada, how do you keep warm?

My wife and I will be in New York just before Christmas and then travelling north (hopefully ducking over the border to Canada) for a week or so before heading south. After another week or two, we will then make our way to Chicago. 

I’m looking at a pair of Waterproof boots and hoping that two pair of socks will be enough for the feet. 

Winter boots? It really depends on what you plan to do. Be aware that multiple pairs of socks won't really help unless you wear one of the types that keeps you warm while damp, when your feet inevitably sweat. Don't over think it.

1 hour ago, SawDustB said:

Winter boots? It really depends on what you plan to do. Be aware that multiple pairs of socks won't really help unless you wear one of the types that keeps you warm while damp, when your feet inevitably sweat. Don't over think it.

We're not hiking through the snow - more just seeing sites, towns 

Something like these boots. I'm trying to find a pair that I can use for work and casual wear because we don't live in a City that gets snow. Lots of rain but no snow.

3221408-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

1 hour ago, lewisc said:

We're not hiking through the snow - more just seeing sites, towns 

Something like these boots. I'm trying to find a pair that I can use for work and casual wear because we don't live in a City that gets snow. Lots of rain but no snow.

3221408-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

My feet rarely got cold.  Wood socks work well.  The boots?  Not really necessary.  Lived in Canada for years without boots.  

15 hours ago, lewisc said:

Layering is the key. If you're going with two pairs of socks, go with a light synthetic inner and a bulky (merino) wool outer sock. Ultra-light synthetic underwear like Patagonia Base Layers or Arc'teryx, or something available in Oz.  Windstopper fabric, or the like, can't be beat for an outer shell.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Layering is the key. If you're going with two pairs of socks, go with a light synthetic inner and a bulky (merino) wool outer sock. Ultra-light synthetic underwear like Patagonia Base Layers or Arc'teryx, or something available in Oz.  Windstopper fabric, or the like, can't be beat for an outer shell.

Sierra Trading Post is a great place to get high-quality outdoor-wear like this for pretty deep discounts.  It's basically the only place I buy clothes anymore.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2017 at 9:00 AM, RichardA said:

"Ken Nugent" ?  I'm guessing you meant "Ted Nugent"  And why unfortunately?  

Ken Nugent is an attorney in Atlanta who has cheesy ads and the slogan “One call, that’s all.”  He’ll sue anybody for anything. I call him Ted Nugent’s evil brother. Steve was right, too geographically specific - LOL.