Hijack!

Llama

19 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Being uninitiated in the ways of the dark web, I have to assume that the hackers attached a thingy to the Equifax system that will be feeding them SS#s for years to come.

I wouldn't doubt that Experion and Trans Union have been hacked as well. They are either unaware of it, or they are hiding it until they can cash out their stock.

It's just the way it is when you live in a society that insists on putting vital information on the most insecure place I can imagine (The Internet).

Whatta ya gonna do?

I'll guess I'll just have to do damage control on my credit report when the bastages work their nefarious magic.

Yeah, believe it or not, Indiana used to automatically use your SSN as your drivers license number unless you specifically asked them to not use it. Can you believe that crap?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gary said:

Yeah, believe it or not, Indiana used to automatically use your SSN as your drivers license number unless you specifically asked them to not use it. Can you believe that crap?

They asked if I wanted on mine at 16 and I asked them if they were nuts. I don't think the clerk liked that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C Shaffer said:

They asked if I wanted on mine at 16 and I asked them if they were nuts. I don't think the clerk liked that. 

Yeah, I know that is going back a long time, but they did the same thing to me. I flat out told them that a SSN number cannot be used for any other purpose and not for any type of ID. They looked at me like I had 3 heads growing out of my shoulders. This was in the early 80s! How insane.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chet said:

I was impacted my wife wasn't but you get to inroll in their protection program either way.

Interesting that your wife got a "no impact" reply from the site.

I guess it's good that they are not just telling everyone that they are compromised and should get the free protection. It seems to indicate that they may know which SS#s were effected.

20 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I am growing more suspicious that this "breach" is just a fake news story, leaked to drive folks into their 'identity theft prote tion' racket.

This day and age thats the way we think because of everything around us.  But on the other hand being on of three companies that handle credit rating services and pulling a stunt like that and then be found out, I think there would be some serious hell to be paid.  

You might not want to sign up for the free service offered by Equifax.  The fine print on the click through contract says that you can't sue Equifax. Equifax says that it just applies to a suit against the identity protection service if your identity gets stolen, but the contract is legally binding and the announcement from the Equifax PR department is not.

My guess is that there will be a class action suit, Equifax will pay millions of dollars, and each affected person will receive less than $50.  But, if you get your identity stolen you might want to sue for real money. 

• Like 1

It's a reciprical agreement with the business that use their services.  Your landlord or mortgage holder, credit cards, banks, utilities etc all report your activity.  From the point of view of the businesses, it's a win/win cooperation.  If they all report what they know about you, they can all benefit from the information.  And, every time you apply for something that asks your age, income, etc, it's probably going to the big three.

Believe it or not when my wife and I filed our taxes this year the CPA at the tax service we use informed us that they had been compromised and referred us to Equifax to monitor our SS numbers for suspicious activity. This was also supposed to make sure any suspicious activity wouldn't effect our credit rating. Gee THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!

39 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

I haven't heard that since I was first tinkering with electronics. lol  I can't remember what I fried, but the guy helping me said, "Look, you let the smoke out!" haha

Yeah, definitely an electronics phrase. I've been watching AvE and Big Clive on y-tube.

I'm kind of addicted to YouTube.