Hijack!

Llama

27 minutes ago, Cliff said:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/starrett-duratec-sfb-bandsaw-blade-115-x-1-2-x-4tpi-hook

That is the blade. If I remember right, I chose my blade based on a thread from here. I still got it bookmarked, it was the thread where you asked for bandsaw blade recommendations. Someone said Starrett, so I got one. I find the bandsaw stuff very confusing to be honest. 

Blade has barely been used so it shouldn't be dull. I've used the bandsaw maybe 5 times. 

I would say I was doing an inch every 10-15 seconds. The board was 49" Sometimes it was much harder and it went a lot slower. Then the power blew when I went too fast. 

I think Starrett blades are really nice. No problem there. Three to four TPI is just fine for resawing.

An inch every 10-15 seconds isn't bad, IMO.  That's 12.25 mins for your 49" board. Slow and steady gets a smoother cut, but...You have 1.75 HP in the motor and it shouldn't struggle too much on the cut you're making.

As for the breaker tripping when you apply a load...are you running other things on the breaker, like dust collection or lighting?

Also check that your blade tracking is good. If the fence and the blade are out of line it gets more difficult to push through the cut.

41 minutes ago, Cliff said:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/starrett-duratec-sfb-bandsaw-blade-115-x-1-2-x-4tpi-hook

That is the blade. If I remember right, I chose my blade based on a thread from here. I still got it bookmarked, it was the thread where you asked for bandsaw blade recommendations. Someone said Starrett, so I got one. I find the bandsaw stuff very confusing to be honest. 

Blade has barely been used so it shouldn't be dull. I've used the bandsaw maybe 5 times. 

I would say I was doing an inch every 10-15 seconds. The board was 49" Sometimes it was much harder and it went a lot slower. Then the power blew when I went too fast. 

What species is it you were resawing, Cliff?  Something like hard maple or white oak might take a little bit longer than cherry or walnut...but 20 minutes?  No way.  Something ain't right.

5 minutes ago, Chet said:

Cliff I only say this because I did it once,  is the blade on correctly, teeth pointing down?

Ha!  I did as well! It filled my whole shop with smoke and I had to ask my bs for forgiveness.  I don't see tell tell burn marks on his boards. 

19 hours ago, Chet said:

Cliff I only say this because I did it once,  is the blade on correctly, teeth pointing down?

Haha yes for sure

20 hours ago, Eric. said:

What species is it you were resawing, Cliff?  Something like hard maple or white oak might take a little bit longer than cherry or walnut...but 20 minutes?  No way.  Something ain't right.

Walnut. 

20 hours ago, davewyo said:

I think Starrett blades are really nice. No problem there. Three to four TPI is just fine for resawing.

An inch every 10-15 seconds isn't bad, IMO.  That's 12.25 mins for your 49" board. Slow and steady gets a smoother cut, but...You have 1.75 HP in the motor and it shouldn't struggle too much on the cut you're making.

As for the breaker tripping when you apply a load...are you running other things on the breaker, like dust collection or lighting?

Also check that your blade tracking is good. If the fence and the blade are out of line it gets more difficult to push through the cut.

Yup, dust collector, a/c and bandsaw running at once. 2 were probably on one circuit, the other not. I turned off the a/c and it quit blowing the circuit. was still slow though. But I'm guessing the a/c was on same circuit as the bandsaw. 

Tracking is pretty good. This bandsaw was newly set up just a few months ago cause I just bought it. Other than the beginning where I accidentally drifted away from the fence the cut is super straight. 

So my co-worker knew his grandfather had gifted him several 12" x 12" x 2" thick Cuban mahogany pieces. Then today he just found in the wood pile about 100 bf of actual boards of the stuff. 

It was wood, apparently, that his grandfather had in the 60's and just never used. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cliff said:

So my co-worker knew his grandfather had gifted him several 12" x 12" x 2" thick Cuban mahogany pieces. Then today he just found in the wood pile about 100 bf of actual boards of the stuff. 

It was wood, apparently, that his grandfather had in the 60's and just never used. 

So did you make a deal for it?

• 2 weeks later...