Hijack!

Llama

9 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Yep, isn't this typical midwest weather, i'm north of you and we never made it out of the 30's with some snow flurries. time to hang on for the ride.

Right? And just last weekend I was at my family's weenie roast and saying "Is it really 70 degrees? What the hell?" The change was bad even for the midwest. 

18 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Eastern red cedar ?

Oddly enough, I never heard it called that here. We call it aromatic cedar. Unless the two are different. I just assumed I had not yet seen Eastern Red. 

But yeah. Nothing special, other than I've not often seen boards so big from that species. Just funny how many layers of dirt and grime was on this board.

Eastern Red cedar / juniperus whateverus can be quite beautiful. Left bare it is quite aromatic. Finished with oil based top coats, it often resembles walnut. Much harder than Western Red cedar, it is rather brittle, and difficult to find without knots. The heartwood seems to last forever in any sort of weather, even with ground contact.