Another "New Shop" thread (new member)

Sawdustdad

17 hours ago, Eric. said:

Great shop man.  Welcome aboard.  What kind of stuff do you build?  Got any project pics to share?  Is that your COD in the pics or was that a refinish?

Sorry, Eric, missed this question on reply. That is a restoration. It is an c.1830 American walnut chest of drawers. It has 20 inch wide single board sides and top, all three of which had split due to cross grain construction (drawer supports/ top frame).  I have done a good bit of antique restoration, mostly 19th century stuff--Empire period especially. This COD has chestnut as a secondary wood and is actually quite lightweight for its size. Restoration here included replacement of some missing veneer on the drawer fronts, elongating screw holes in drawer supports, gluing splits in sides and top, and replacing missing drawer stops and kickers. Knobs are original to the piece, so they were removed, cleaned and reinstalled. Finish was cleaned and a couple coats of tung oil applied. No patina removed.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sawdustdad said:

My THT alter ego revealed!  Funny! 

Ha...didn't mean to be a creeper...the photos you posted above looked familiar to me, and I realized I saw them before in my thread asking about table saws over on THT back when I was just starting to get into woodworking.  It was fresh on my mind because I posted the thread here recently to have a good laugh at how naive I was back then.  Here's the thread if you're interested in reminiscing too.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/433600-help-me-pick-table-saw.html

Anyway when the pictures looked familiar I did some cross referencing to find your handle :)

I'm Row 21 over on THT.  Don't post there much anymore as woodworking has taken over my hobby time.  I still have the boat and get out on the water - the kids love it - but I'm a lot more active on this forum.  

Anyway, welcome - you and I have the same taste, it seems.  Glad to have another member building traditional designs.  Welcome.

1 hour ago, bgreenb said:

Ha...didn't mean to be a creeper...the photos you posted above looked familiar to me, and I realized I saw them before in my thread asking about table saws over on THT back when I was just starting to get into woodworking.  It was fresh on my mind because I posted the thread here recently to have a good laugh at how naive I was back then.  Here's the thread if you're interested in reminiscing too.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/433600-help-me-pick-table-saw.html

Anyway when the pictures looked familiar I did some cross referencing to find your handle :)

I'm Row 21 over on THT.  Don't post there much anymore as woodworking has taken over my hobby time.  I still have the boat and get out on the water - the kids love it - but I'm a lot more active on this forum.  

Anyway, welcome - you and I have the same taste, it seems.  Glad to have another member building traditional designs.  Welcome.

I'm Sawdustdad everywhere except THT.   Still quite active over there.  Glad to have found this site.  I've got three bathrooms and a wet bar to remodel over the coming winter, so it will keep me out of the furniture business for a few months,  but a Newport style block front desk is on my list of future efforts. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...