What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Ridgid just came out with a cordless small router. I’ve only read magazine reviews so know nothing else about them. I’ve had decent luck with Ridgid tools over the years though. I like my little DeWalt router (corded) for small stuff. It has lights and the view of the bit is good. For me it also fills the palm router gap but cordless would be nice. 

• Like 2

I’ve had the Ridgid 18v brushless router for a few years and it’s been fine, I haven’t thrown it away but I don’t find myself wanting to rave about it. I use it almost exclusively for small roundovers and chamfers, but have used it to cut dados with a 3/8” bit. Visibility is okay, but I find myself always wanting to look through the unshielded side which makes me a bit nervous. There is no DC port. The base seems a bit tippy, but that might be improved by using a smaller battery like the 2ah. 

They do have a newer “Octane” model but I can’t give any input on that one. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I would still like a cordless palm router so the search continues.

Fine Woodworking had a strong review for the new Milwaukee M18 brushless. If it is anything like the M18 jigsaw that I have it should be a beast.

• Thanks 1

I'm locked into the world of Kobalt for cordkess tools. Sadly, they have yet to release a cordless router, but the DO have a die grinder, whose barrel grip should drop right in to a shop-made router base. I may give one a try soon, as I really want the die grinder function, too. The other blue tools I have are great.

Going to try the Makita since that is my current cordless Eco system. It got good marks in the FWW review (June 2019) while I'm not a fan of the fine adjustment I can use the batteries/charger I have which makes it a much cheap solution. It got high marks for power and visibility two of my complaints on the Bosch. I will report back on how I like it. Thanks all!

On a high note I was able to solve an electrical gremlin in the shop last night that has had me perplexed since last fall :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pkinneb said:

Your furnace leaked water?? :P

Yeah and a lot of it! I guess the new high efficiency furnaces kick out a lot of condensate.

Just now, treeslayer said:

Boiler:P glad nothing got ruined Drew, but that still sucks

Actually no forced air furnace. If we stroll back to highschool chemistry CH4 + combustion = CO2 + H2O +Heat most of the time H2O comes out as water vapor.

Tore into my eave that was improperly finished 7 years ago when the roof pitch and system were changed. We pitched a flat roof. The old was rubber. They wrapped the rubber over a term bar on the 10” sub fascia. What was not known to me at the time is that the builder had used 8” fascia trim, and used the rubber to cover the rest. Since I jumped into the project a half day after my friend started it, I missed that. Seven years of water trapped by fascia trim rotted the sub. Fortunately I have done this job for so many others, I do it as second nature. Unfortunately it’s 10” and consequently heavy. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Yeah and a lot of it! I guess the new high efficiency furnaces kick out a lot of condensate.

Actually no forced air furnace. If we stroll back to highschool chemistry CH4 + combustion = CO2 + H2O +Heat most of the time H2O comes out as water vapor.

LOL My bad!! I had to look yep there is a hose coming out of mine into floor drain,  facepalm!

It seems like the overflow drain pan would have a water level safety cutoff switch, just like heat pump air handlers do.  When the water in the pan, which is a backup anyway, gets too high, the unit shuts down.  If it has a condensate pump, instead of a gravity drain, sounds like there needs to be a backup pump for the first pump.

2 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Didn’t take chemistry in HS, only advanced drinking and how to get girls to go out with you, but that was a long time ago, how high is the efficiency rating on yours?

LOL you made better use of your time than I did :D. Quoted 97% we shall see a year from now if it's worth it. There were a bunch of rebates on the high end units where i could get them for $500 more than the less efficent units so i figured why not. I"ll be in this house till I get carried out feet first so it might be worth it.

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

It seems like the overflow drain pan would have a water level safety cutoff switch, just like heat pump air handlers do.  When the water in the pan, which is a backup anyway, gets too high, the unit shuts down.  If it has a condensate pump, instead of a gravity drain, sounds like there needs to be a backup pump for the first pump.

It's all gravity to a floor drain. The leak was from the condensate line that was installed. It was a real hack job that the helper did.... I bumped it and it fell apart. He also drove a screw into a sheet of BB ply thinking it was a good place to mount a ziptie.

This was yesterday but the kids went over to my in-laws so I had a bit of shop time. Most of the time was spent cleaning up since it’s become a catch-all space lately. I did finally finish half of the batch of picture frames I started back in December. I’ve also picked up a few new tools over the past couple months and yesterday was the first time I actually got to look at them and check them out. 

• Like 1